Rhino and SOLIDWORKS users.

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
PcS

Rhino and SOLIDWORKS users.

Post by PcS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Has anyone started modeling on rhino , and then moved to SOLIDWORKS ? I was wondering what other users thought about the switch ? I am just getting my feet wet with SOLIDWORKS but so far it seems to be more feature rich and powerful. However I am more used to the older mechanical engineering style drawing layout and mindset. It will take a while to learn. But in the long run it seems like a better bet . Thoughts ???

garyl

Re: Rhino and SOLIDWORKS users.

Post by garyl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm

I started on Rhino and switched to Solidworks. I found Solidworks much easier to use with many more features. The only bad thing is the cost difference is huge. I taught myself how to use Solidworks through the use of youtube. As you come across feature names and ask yourself whats that do?? just type that in the youtube search. As an example "revolve" I type in "solidworks revolve" and a great deal of videos come up for that solidworks feature.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 pm

The student version I have is loaded with built in tutorials....it may take me a year to get through them all !!!

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Well, I have a paid for version of Rhino and it has never limited me. I have taken SW classes and it is very nice, but not affordable.

I think you should not be asking about SW, but about Autodesk Fusion as an alternative. The built in CAM features are fantastic, especially if you do CNC metalworking. The price of free for hobbyists for such powerful software takes solidworks out of the picture. Also the incredible wealth of online info is a big plus.

I would be using Fusion if I was starting over today, not Rhino, not Solidworks.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

atomic_peach

Post by atomic_peach » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Rhino appears to be a surface modelling program, which is better for non-engineering related activities. Solidworks is a parametric modeling program where everything has a value assigned to it. Surface vs solid and direct vs parametric modeling are completely different methods to create objects. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and the newer CAD programs (Fusion 360 and Onshape) have both. Blender or Maya would be a better comparison to Rhino from what I found.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:33 am

Yeah, got to say, I started out with Rhino, but Fusion 360 is so incredibly adaptable, I've switched to that now.....it's free for enthusiasts. You just re-register once a year.

Lots of tutorials on Youtube for Fusion 360 ....go take a look.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the great info. I will look at auto desk fusion again. I do need something that makes it a bit easier to edit your models... I design a lot on the fly and sometimes that bites me big time. I am sure my lack of knowledge with rhino limits my ability to go back and change things. I am still learning. But the end game would be to end up with cam abilities so Autodesk sounds promising. I think a big reason I did not spend more time with fusion is it was a bit much for my laptop to run. My laptop does not have issues with rhino.