When to upgrade to S3D.

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
MaterialIdeas

When to upgrade to S3D.

Post by MaterialIdeas » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Bought an M2 a couple weeks ago and I would like to upgrade to simplify3d and dual extruders when I have the funding. I am currently using slic3r and ponterface and they are working decent but my printing is going to get more and more ambitious. Has anyone used both software's and found the upgrade quite useful? should I purchase the software first and get used to it before upgrading the extruders?
Thanks in advance :)

Vandal968

Re: When to upgrade to S3D.

Post by Vandal968 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:11 am

The MakerGear was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I did it anyway. Once I overspent on the printer, I didn't want to spend even more on S3D since there are a bunch of free slicers, but I bit the bullet and did it anyway. No regrets. The MakerGear is the best printer I have ever used and S3D (despite a few quirks) is the best slicer that I have ever used.

HTH.

c

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 pm

When to buy S3D? The day you buy the printer.

When to get a dual extruder? Maybe never? It seems to me, it is the most over-desired, yet under-utilized upgrade available. You get one, spend a long time getting it to work, then use it once every two years and gain smaller working print area the rest of the time for your trouble. There is no dual extruder requirement that I have not been able to solve with one extruder and software. A second printer would be more useful.

If I were making a production item that demanded dual extrusion that would be different, but for home use, you'll get more use spending ten minutes figuring out how NOT to use the dual extruder and getting on with your print than actually using one.

I am sure folks may lean the other way and I don't want to say that they are useless because they do have their place, but I can make a strong argument that it is going to be on the lower end of the priority scale for most folks.

Do you NEED it? Get one. Are you already well versed in 3dprinting and just want something to tinker with? Get one.
Just get S3D first, OK? ;)

Jules could probably make an argument in the other direction for dueling dual extrudulating, maybe she will chime in for a counterpoint.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Well, yes and yes.....depending. ;)

Yes to the S3D, get it as soon as you are able and learn to use it...it will come in very handy for the dual should you decide to go that route.

There are not many files that have been created for use with two tone extruders...a small handful.....BUT.....

If you are going to be switching back and forth between filaments that print at different temperatures, or want to use one type of filament to support another kind with much better results and ease of removal, then the dual is an excellent choice.

It does away with the need for cleaning filament and you won't need to worry about clogs. It's just a lot easier. It's like having two printers in the space of one.

But learn to use a single first. :D

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:20 am

Jules wrote:But learn to use a single first. :D
Jules knows what's up. :ugeek:

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

MaterialIdeas

Post by MaterialIdeas » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:47 am

Very helpful information guys, thank you. I guess it could be said that a printer is only as good as its' slicer.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:24 pm

MaterialIdeas wrote:Very helpful information guys, thank you. I guess it could be said that a printer is only as good as its' slicer.
If you had to make a list of the things about 3dprinting in order of importance, the slicer would be right up there with the printer chassis/electronics/firmware/filament/CADfile, etc.

When it comes to first place however, I'd make a strong argument that in the end, the printer was only as good as it's operator. ;)