Mid-print Filament Change difficulties

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
M3Jim

Mid-print Filament Change difficulties

Post by M3Jim » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi all,

I am using this piece of code:

;Change filament
G91 ; set relative positioning
G0 Z40 ; raise Z (drop bed)
G90 ; set absolute positioning
M84 S0 ; disable idle timeout
M25 ; Pause SD Print
G92 E0 ; zero extruder

to pause my print and change the filament. It seems as if you have to retract and extrude the same amount, or this code doesn't work. If I extrude more than I have retracted, the extruder retracts before continuing the print.

Can anyone confirm if this is the expected behavior? Is there a way to change the above code to allow as much extrusion as I want before continuing the print? I just want it to start where I left the filament, without retracting first.

Here is the code as inserted in my gcode:

G1 X108.397 Y126.269 E0.2183
G92 E0
G1 E-1.4000 F2400
;Change filament
G91 ; set relative positioning
G0 Z40 ; raise Z (drop bed)
G90 ; set absolute positioning
M84 S0 ; disable idle timeout
M25 ; Pause SD Print
G92 E0 ; zero extruder
; layer 7, Z = 1.376
M104 S240 T0
; tool H0.200 W0.320
; inner perimeter
; inner perimeter
G1 X97.782 Y127.692 F9000
G1 Z1.346 F1200
G1 E0.0000 F2400
G92 E0
G1 X97.146 Y127.692 E0.0156 F1467

Have a great day,
Jim

sthone

Re: Mid-print Filament Change difficulties

Post by sthone » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:27 pm

M3Jim wrote:to pause my print and change the filament. It seems as if you have to retract and extrude the same amount, or this code doesn't work. If I extrude more than I have retracted, the extruder retracts before continuing the print. Can anyone confirm if this is the expected behavior?
Hmmm.... that's weird the "G92 E0 ; zero extruder" line is suppose to keep that from happening.

I use the same code all the time and it works fine. Hopefully someone more experienced in g-code will chime in here.

M3Jim

Post by M3Jim » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes, it seems strange to me also. I have tested it multiple times and I cannot figure out why it is doing what it is doing. I read through the g-code listing at the reprapwiki, and it seems like there should be no reason for this happening.

Do you restart with the S3D "Pause SD Print" button also? I tried changing the filament and using the Force Next button, but that didn't work. I posted a similar post on the Simplify3D forum, in case it is something inside of S3D.

Have a great day,
Jim

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:03 pm

M3Jim wrote:Do you restart with the S3D "Pause SD Print" button also? I tried changing the filament and using the Force Next button, but that didn't work. I posted a similar post on the Simplify3D forum, in case it is something inside of S3D.
Yes... you have to click it twice though... the first time it will say "Pause SD Print" even though it's already paused and after that click the button will change to "Resume SD print" and you click it again to start the print again.

Keep in mind the pause will only happen if your printing from the SD card using the "Print from SD Card" button. If you print from the G-code Libary tab and the "Run selected G-code" button it will stop printing and drop the bed but the actual pause will not happen and it will raise back up and continue.

M3Jim

Post by M3Jim » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Yes, you have to click it twice, because S3D doesn't know that you paused the print from the SD card, so the first time you press it S3D will send the M25 command to pause the print. The second time you press it S3D sends the M24 command to resume. I saw this in the communication tab of the machine control panel.

I am starting to think it may be something in the firmware. I can't figure out where else it could be.

I don't print from the G-code library very often, but it is good to know that you don't get the pause as expected. Would Octoprint help solve this problem? I also need to be able to disconnect the computer instead of having it sit connected to the printer until it gets to the pause.

Have a great day,
Jim

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I don't know if it will solve your particular problem but... you can do the same thing via octoprint you just need to change the M25 command to M0 when using octoprint.

BeautyHape

Mid print Filament Change difficulties

Post by BeautyHape » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 pm

It looks like you cant pause the print to change filament until all of the raft has been laid down. If that is intentional can Marcin explain why? If it is not intentional can it be fixed?