thinnest wall in slic3r

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jferguson

thinnest wall in slic3r

Post by jferguson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 pm

I was impressed with the thinness of the bracelet which comes as a sample with a new machine. what is the thinnest wall design which will print using slic3r? I would think .15 but maybe the slicer has it's own idea about minima.

ednisley

Re: thinnest wall in slic3r

Post by ednisley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 pm

jferguson wrote:maybe the slicer has it's own idea about minima
Basically, you tell it what thread width you want and it'll fiddle the filament speed to match; whether the result actually prints isn't guaranteed. You generally want a thread width a bit wider than the nozzle diameter, say 0.40 mm with a 0.35 mm nozzle, to let the nozzle rim compress the molten plastic against the previous layer.

Slic3r sometimes tries to insert a hair-thin infill thread between the perimeters of a two-thread wall, which works terribly with PETG. I managed to tamp it down with a 1.9 × 0.40 mm wall: just under two thread widths.

Always preview the G-Code to avoid surprises!
Attachments
Slic3r - thin infill thread - 0.15x2 wall threads.jpg
Thin infill between 0.15 mm perimeter threads

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks much Ed. I'd gotten into this with Cura on my old machine. Cura was a pretty basic slicer at the time. You could ask for .2 but you were very likely to get .5. I guess I need to measure the thickness of the bracelet. It would be wonderful to know what thickness was on the model.

I'm struggling to avoid parameteritis. And of course the previous good experience being based on possibly erroneous thermal sensors. What owuld be nice would be a Rosetta Stone containing as close to parallel set ups on the major slicers.

best,

john

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:11 am

jferguson wrote:the thickness of the bracelet
I'd lay long odds it's a single thread width, so around 0.40 mm. Feels amazingly skinny, though.
avoid parameteritis
Being an OpenSCAD kind of guy, defining everything based on physical parameters became second nature: thin walls are integer multiples of the thread width, vertical steps are multiples of the thread thickness, and so on.

Best part: change the measurement and the model recomputes around it!
parallel set ups on the major slicers
Which would last right up to the next update of each one …

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:22 am

parallel set ups on the major slicers
Which would last right up to the next update of each one …
parameter nomenclature doesn't seem to track. It's not so hard if the variables are well commented. I''m reminded a bit of teaching CAD in the eighties. with a novice it was pretty straight forward but it could be a real whee with a guy who was already sharp on another system. Generally they got hung up on what the old system did easier or better and couldn't see the things which were slick about the new system.

I'm slicing stl's I've printed a lot of to see whether slice3r or the current cura works best for me. it may come down to whether I feel i have enough control over support structures. I suppose i could design them into the models. Cura 2.6.3 seems to do what I expect, but Slice3r gives me support on vertical edges where it doesn't seem to me to need it.

I guess this is all part of coming up to speed with a new machine.

thanks again Ed.

john

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:53 pm

jferguson wrote:i could design them into the models.
Highly recommended!

At least for the simple stuff I design, building my own support structures produces better results:
https://softsolder.com/2017/07/21/tour- ... lamp-ring/

I've also combined Slic3r's generated support with my built-in support, letting it do the easy sections and keeping it out of the hard geometry:
https://softsolder.com/2017/04/28/badge ... eel-mount/

Of course, everything I do looks like a bracket, not a jellyfish …