s3d overlapping areas fixed

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

s3d overlapping areas fixed

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 pm

i forgot all about this issue. its been around since 2.0 and now i see they fixed it. if you had 2 models or even one model that wasnt booleaned together and the parts overlapped s3d would delete the overlapping area totally and not print it. this always became a problem with adding mouse ears to the corners of a box or project. you would need to model them into your part with your cad software. you should be able to just drop a premodeled disc onto your table and drag it to the corner of your model and it should merge the whole thing into one. well it all works and you can do that now. i keep a folder of discs different thicknesses and diameters used just for this

Toby

Re: s3d overlapping areas fixed

Post by Toby » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 pm

That's good. I've been doing this by modeling the fit between two parts exactly, which is a pain, and even then the joint that gets printed can be weak since some (but not all) of the time S3D prints them with separate perimeters. Time to upgrade to 2.1

Edit: Nope. The new version is 2.0.1, which I already have. Don't know why I thought the new version number was 2.1. Anyway, when two models exactly share a face, it's still hit or miss as to whether s3d will merge them in the slicing.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:03 am

Toby the new version is 2.1. If your still on 2.0.1 then you need to update. There have been alot of fixes and cool
Stuff in this last one

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:23 am

jimc wrote:Toby the new version is 2.1. If your still on 2.0.1 then you need to update. There have been alot of fixes and cool
Stuff in this last one
Oddly, my 2.0.1 software told me it was up to date. And the Simplify3D latest release notes show 2.0.1 as the latest revision.

But when I downloaded the software it was indeed 2.1. Incremental changes, but some really nice ones!

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 am

Thanks Jim and Dave. Same thing for me- the changelog on the s3d site only goes to 2.0.1 and from within s3d it says my version is the latest. But after downloading it anyway I got the 2.1 version.

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:27 am

Just did a quick test of that problem when two models share a face and it seems to be fixed. Nice!

Also appreciate the better work flow of preparing to print without having to go through the gcode file saving every time.

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:29 am

Toby wrote:Just did a quick test of that problem when two models share a face and it seems to be fixed. Nice!

Also appreciate the better work flow of preparing to print without having to go through the gcode file saving every time.
I like that as well. And the stats on build time, filament length and cost. I may have missed the obvious, but has anyone seen where the cost per mm can be set?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 am

haha yeah the one thing they never fixed was the "check for updates" lol. s3d doesnt put up the change log until way down the road after the release. they dont make an announcement either. you goto their downloads page, do the download and see what you get.