Installing Pronterface on a Windows 10 PC

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
GBuchwitz

Installing Pronterface on a Windows 10 PC

Post by GBuchwitz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi.

Pronterface Printrun is suggested as a printer controller app in MakerGear's M2e User Guide. I'm having trouble installing this on a Windows 10 laptop using the instructions provided under the "Running From Source" > "Windows" section in https://github.com/kliment/Printrun/blo ... /README.md.

I get through the first four of five download/install links in the list, but attempts to download/extract/run the .zip file via the fifth link result in an error message from Google: "The requested URL /files/pyglet-1.1.4.zip was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem (e.g. an alternate source for this .zip file) would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks! - guy

insta

Re: Installing Pronterface on a Windows 10 PC

Post by insta » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Building it from source is only needed if you're planning to modify the application itself.

I just tried this on a windows 10 PC, and it works: http://kliment.kapsi.fi/printrun/ Grab the .zip ending in "2015"
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

GBuchwitz

Post by GBuchwitz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:31 am

Thanks, Insta! That link looks familiar. I'll try it out.

I was under the impression that installing from source was the only way to get the most recent version.

V/r, - guy

GBuchwitz

Post by GBuchwitz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi, Insta.

When you installed Pronterface on your Windows 10 PC, did it communicate successfully with a 3D printer?

I sincerely appreciate the http://kliment.kapsi.fi/printrun/ link, but it looked familiar because it was the first approach I'd tried. I made a second attempt which yielded the same I got before errors.

Initially a message, "The current profile is not compatible with X2SW v1.2.0.1. Would you like to run X2Profiler and download compatible set of profiles?" is displayed. I click "No" to proceed. Then Pronterface comes up, but it won't connect to my M2e. The Monitor message immediately reports, "Connecting... [ERROR] Could not connect to COM3 at baudrate 115200: Serial error: could not open port COM3: [Error 5] Access is denied." Plugging my M2e into other USB ports on my laptop and attempting other baud rates yields the same error.

I guess I'll try downloading a "compatible set of profiles", though I've no idea what they're talking about.

Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping someone out there has successfully dealt with the problems I'm having. I'd previously been told that Pronterface installers hadn't been updated since Windows 7 & 8... and that I need to go through a "run from source" process by which I manually download/extract/install five files in github's Windows list. However attempts to download the fifth and final file yield the message, "The requested URL /files/pyglet-1.1.4.zip was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

Thanks again for taking time to try to help me out.

V/r, - guy

insta

Post by insta » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Access denied?

You're not running any other slicing software at the same time, are you?

GBuchwitz

Post by GBuchwitz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 am

You're not running any other slicing software at the same time, are you?
Yes. I keep Simplify3D open at all times because if it's closed I can't log back in until I've secured special authorization from the IA folks at work to take the laptop home, connect it up to my Wi-Fi network, and log back in.

So... I gather from your question that Pronterface won't connect to our M2e printer if Simplify3D is open?

Thanks!

V/r, - guy

insta

Post by insta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Go into the Machine Control Panel on S3D and click "disconnect" :)

There's a setting that you can disable inside S3D that says "auto-connect to any new printers plugged in". It does this silently and will prevent any other host softwares from connecting.

GBuchwitz

Post by GBuchwitz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks, Insta!

You and Jason at MakerGear simultaneously educated me about the fact that I can't have S3D open and expect Pronterface to connect to our M2e. I closed S3D and Pronterface CONNECTED!!

It's probably not the most recent version of Pronterface (I'd been advised that installing the latest version requires the "running from source" option - which I can't get to work... apparently because a .zip file is no longer available from the intended server), but I don't care. I only need Pronterface as a backup in case S3D gets closed (requiring me to take the laptop home and log back into S3D).

Thanks bunches for your help! I'll play around with S3D's "auto-connect" option.

V/r, - guy

insta

Post by insta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Glad you're farther along. :mrgreen:

You absolutely can have S3D open, you just need to disconnect it from the machine using the Machine Control Panel.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm

GBuchwitz wrote:apparently because a .zip file is no longer available from the intended server
Was there a problem fetching that file from the project's new site, as I'd pointed out a while back? I downloaded & unzipped it, so it ought to get you further along.