top layer issues

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
airscapes

top layer issues

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:01 am

New guy here.. New M2, MG PL S3D
Posted this on the S3D forum and didn't really get the answer I was looking for.. the WHY?
So using the default profile with medium quality for the M2 with PLA.
I printed some small brackets I designed for my enclosure LED light strips. See photo. The top surface of these have no gaps the extrudes is smooth not raised and rounded.

I then printed A different model that has multiple groves forming stand alone squares that are 8.4mm square.
The top surfaces of the squares and floor of the groves have gaps (very small) but gaps non the same, not solid and smooth but like strings laid next to each other.
They did not melt together like the larger longer surface of the first item. I reprinted the first item after to make sure it was nothing wrong with the nozzle or drive an all was the same as the first time.

Why would there be such a difference in the way the plastic laid down between the 2 different prints??

Under the machinist scope

ednisley

Re: top layer issues

Post by ednisley » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 pm

airscapes wrote:such a difference in the way the plastic laid down
Some things to do before going further:
  • Measure actual filament diameter
  • Calibrate the slicer's Extrusion Multiplier
  • Verify that the solid model is manifold
  • Make sure the G-Code looks OK at http://gcode.ws/
The corners of the raised squares look overstuffed, so the first two points should improve things.

A rule of thumb with "why isn't this one like the other one" problems is to check the failing model to ensure it doesn't have weird geometry problems. Depending on how you created those raised squares, the top surfaces be something other than closed planes, so the slicer may have heartburn.

airscapes

Re: top layer issues

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Ok that is what I was wondering. Of course I am a total newb in all three areas.. CAD, Slice and Printer.. ;-)
So maybe I need to post the first question in the Onshape forum..

Just googled "How do I Verify that the solid model is manifold" And I am going to say it isn't! I was having issues with the getting things to connect .. this explains a lot I think.. when I have a few days I have get to figuring out what I did wrong!

Well no, checked it with S3D no errors found. Guess I will have to play with it and see what fixes it.

Thanks for the input!
Doug