OctoPrint Temps stuck on "Off"

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
pyronaught

OctoPrint Temps stuck on "Off"

Post by pyronaught » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 am

This is something that has been bugging me with OctoPrint for as long as I can remember-- every once in a while it seems to get stuck in this "off" mode where I can no longer set the extruder and bed temps. The "Actual" temp display just shows "off" instead of the current temp, then any attempt to set the temp in the "Target" box is ignored. On the M2 Farm I built at work this "off" state seems to occur at the end of every print, whereas my printers at home only encounter it randomly. I haven't figured out how to get out of this "off" state except by rebooting the Pi, which then wastes a lot of time trying to reconnect, load the file etc. Is there a way to prevent the off state from ever occurring, or at least a way to get out of it without a reboot?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

airscapes

Re: OctoPrint Temps stuck on "Off"

Post by airscapes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:19 am

You may want to post this in the octoprint forum https://discourse.octoprint.org/
I have noticed it hangs and won't let me do anything until the time laps has finished rendering. However this is only 10 -20 seconds on non response.
Is your OS and Octoprint all up to date?
I have also seen it become non responsive when using the browser on the PI. In these cases I just login remotely and have full control. It has only ever happened on the gui console of the pi, ever remotely

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:27 am

At work I have a bunch of PIs networked together over Ethernet and it was working pretty good for a while, but now the communications between the browser and the PIs has become incredibly sluggish. I've had prints take up to 7 minutes to start printing after hitting the print button, even though the temps were ready for the print to start immediately. The extrude and retract commands can have several minute delays too. Connections time out often when getting started as well. Maybe there is something causing excessive errors on the network communications and the commands keep failing and have to be sent multiple times or something. It could be that the time lapse takes an excessive amount of time to update and then that's why they are getting stuck in the "Off" position.

makeal

Post by makeal » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:10 pm

are the pis wired or wifi? does this happen to all or just one or 2? do you reboot them?

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:28 pm

They are wired using ethernet cables and switch hubs. The sluggish response happens on some more than others. When they get stuck in the "off" state I have to reboot them, as the graph never does start refreshing again. I had one of my home printers get stuck in the off state just now after a 20 hour print just completed, and the graph isn't updating on that one either. It seems like the problem is that the PI just stops updating it's webpage interface when a print finishes.

The home printer is setup over WiFi. I'm running a bunch of shorter duration TPU prints at home (4 to 8 hours) and they never gets stuck in the Off state. It seems to happen every time on the 20 hour print though.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:09 am

So do you have the timelaps turned off? I am fairly sure rendering a 20 hour time laps would bring the pi to it's knees for a LONG time

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah, timelapse is turned off. I'm not even sure what that does, I've never used it.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm

I didn't see what version of the OS and Octoprint you are using.. is it all up to date?
If not that would be my next move.
I am running Octoprint Version 1.3.9 on a Pi3B+ which I run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade every couple of weeks to keep it current. Connected to M2 with USB and Pi is hardwired as the WIFI did not work well when I first set it up.
Good luck

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 pm

At home I'm running 4 M2s on OctoPrint 1.2.2 on some older Pi2 B boards, using WiFi.

At work I don't know if anyone has updated the OctoPrint but it's running 13 M2s on Pi3 B boards and hard wired over ethernet since I couldn't get WiFi working on those.

The 4 printer home network is an order of magnitude more responsive than the 13 printer network at work.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am

I seem to have this figured out. When running many printers at once and controlling them all through a browser, having each printer open in separate tabs on the browser causes big slow-downs in response times of the octoprint interface. If you just have only one or two tabs open then it's fine, but a dozen or more and it starts choking. When the temp data can't update after a print finishes, it just gets stuck in the off state until the first temp reading comes back. If I'm trying to restart 15 printers but only work on two at a time it works fine. If I connect to all 15 at once in 15 browser tabs all open at the same time then the communications start getting jammed up.