PrusaSlicer 2.0 settings

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
misquamacus

PrusaSlicer 2.0 settings

Post by misquamacus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi all,

I love the printer, but not Simplify3D, so here are presets for using PrusaSlicer 2.0

PrusaSlicer is here under DRIVERS & APPS, and my settings file is here. Just install PrusaSlicer, goto Import Config, and select my settings file.

easy peasy :D

beanlee

Re: PrusaSlicer 2.0 settings

Post by beanlee » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Misquamacus, you are the man!

I used your profile and the print quality is much better than S3d. However, the dual setting always shows up a G-code error. Could you please suggest how to fix it? Thanks!

Bioluminous

Post by Bioluminous » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 am

@misquamacus it looks like this was the only post you made but I was wondering if you ever found a solution for the issue @beanlee raised regarding the G-code error when selecting dual settings. PrusaSlicer indicates an error with the tool change G-code script and I can't seem to figure out the problem yet. Was this a working profile on PrusaSlicer?

That being said, I find that coming from PrusaSlicer and trying to work with dual extruders in Simplify3D has me pulling out my hair. PrusaSlicer seems so much easier to work with multiple extruders - if I can just figure out how to translate the S3D scripts over to PrusaSlicer I'd be super-happy.

Has anyone else been successful with using the M3-ID on PrusaSlicer? Anyone keen on sharing their working profiles here?

jk42

Post by jk42 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Bioluminous,

What exactly is the issue you're having with dual extruders in S3D?
~Jason from MakerGear

Bioluminous

Post by Bioluminous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm

@jk42

I have had sporadic instances with multiple extruder prints sliced using either the stock M3-ID profile that comes with S3D in addition to the profiles you provide on your GitHub repository where the tool fails to heat, tries to prime and is stopped by the cold extrusion warning. Additionally, I have had a few times where the inactive tool fails to park and the other tool rams into the other tool with the print failing due to missed steps. I have not been able to reliably replicate the issues.

Within S3D, I have problems with how the application handles dual extrusion. For example, if you try to import a model that has multiple parts, S3D is unable to split the parts so that you can assign the parts to different extruders. S3D requires you import models as separate files. Also, if you want to make multiples of a group, S3D fails to align them properly after duplication. For example, if you import your SKB logo and SKB lid example files into S3D and then make duplicates of them, the dual extrusion wizard is not able to figure out how to align these models. So apart from making duplicates in the modeling application itself, I can't see any way to do this without having to manually align the models in S3D.

In contrast, PrusaSlicer handles this with ease. You can import single models that have multiple parts, assign different extruders to the parts, then do anything you want to the model such as duplicate, scale, etc. and all the parts stay aligned.

Bioluminous

Post by Bioluminous » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 am

Well I've been working on getting the M3-ID to work with PrusaSlicer off and on since I purchased the printer a month or so ago. The profile package that the OP supplied does not work for anything except single extruder mode. And it looks like they are not active anymore so no idea if they made the profile or they got it from someone else. Also, official MG support says they would like to help but so far have not provided any info about how to translate the custom G-code scripts.

I know very little about how to write G-code scripts. But I have managed to get the M3-ID to work in dual mode by changing the custom G-code for the printer within PrusaSlicer. Under Printer Settings, go to the Custom G-Code section and in the Tool change G-code replace whatever is present with:

{if current_extruder == 0}T1{endif}
{if current_extruder == 0}G1 X250 F18000{endif} ; park T1
{if current_extruder == 0}M104 S165 T0{endif}; set T0 inactive extruder to 165 C
{if current_extruder == 0}T0{endif}
{if current_extruder == 0}G1 X-25 F18000{endif}; makes sure t0 is parked

{if current_extruder == 1}T0{endif}
{if current_extruder == 1}G1 X-25 F18000{endif}; makes sure t1 is parked
{if current_extruder == 1}T1{endif}
{if current_extruder == 1}G1 X250 F18000{endif}; park T0

I have tried this and so far I am getting results but there are still lots of kinks I need to figure out. Some of the problems I have are:

1. In some modes like duplication and dual, T0 will preheat but not T1. Both will try to print prime line but T1 will fail due to cold extrusion warning. This should be easy to figure out - set the temps then wait. But I don't know how to do this yet.

2. Ooze control - I am trying to figure out how to get the inactive tool to cool off a bit. PrusaSlicer has inbuilt controls for this but it doesn't work on T1 until after the 1st tool change. So T1 will print prime line, park, but not cool so the contents of the nozzle will drain with gravity then when it does the tool change and prints, it will not prime again resulting in a long period of no extrusion.

3. An odd thing about Z axis speeds during mesh bed leveling. When I use Simplify3D to slice, the mesh bed leveling z-movements are slow and start and stop very slowly (gradually). When I slice with PrusaSlicer with this profile, the z-movements are quick and do not have a slow ramp up and down for the speed. I can't figure out where this speed setting is. It seems like the speed is way too slow with S3D but again, I don't really know.

4. I can't get the ooze shield function to work at all.

I struggled with the translation above. I did not really know where to use {} instead of [] and figured out that I needed == instead of = and I also found out that I should be putting the {endif} to close out the command (I guess it's kind of like HTML where you need to do the /command to end?)

Why go through all this effort? Is PrusaSlicer any better? Yes. It is. I've been using it for several years daily and it continues to get better and have more features. I wish MakerGear would step up and make an official profile for it, but I understand the request may not be their top priority right now. Everything about PrusaSlicer seems way better than S3D, especially with working on multiple extruders.

I think Prusa is developing another printer with tool change, an IDEX or something. So maybe there will be more support for other tool changing printers like the M3-ID soon.

Is there anyone out there that can help?

beanlee

Post by beanlee » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:12 am

Bioluminous, Thanks for the great effort. I believe Makergear engineers should be able to solve this simple question. But I am a bit disappointed that no solution is provided. S3d is great initially but does not update for a while. That's why I was hesitated to promote makergear to my peers. The printer has a price premium and I expect the customer should be taken care of at a similar service level.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Just downloaded PS 2.3 rc2 and did a one for one compare to S3d v 4.01.
I set up PS the same as 23D to the best of my ability using the profile I created for my M2 and printed a part I had just printed 6 times with S3D. I am impressed, much much nicer finish on side and top.. going to try and use PS exclusively to get familiar with it.. I do believe the print preview is still better with S3D but I have not quite figured out PS as of yet. If you are intimate with S3D PS seems to be very much the same but with added features and even more control. And of course it is being actively developed unlike S3d

Bioluminous

Post by Bioluminous » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm

@airscapes I experienced similar print quality increases when using PS compared with S3D. If you have the latest PS versions, the monotonic top infill pattern makes for a much nicer top finish and it gets even nicer with ironing enabled (though at the expense of drastically increased print time). Right now unless I have an absolute need for 2 colors I am using PS exclusively. As time permits I will be actively working on getting a nice, working profile for the M3-ID. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge about how to write custom G-code scripts in PS will be able to help out. I posted on the Prusa forums and as expected there seems to be zero interest there even though Prusa does provide profiles for many other manufacturers, just not MakerGear. And with the lack of activity on this forum I'm just assuming this is going to be a solo endeavor.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:53 pm

I tried to register on the PS forum yesterday and it kept saying could not verify email no matter what email address I used.. Same thing happens now..