S3D Version 2.1.1 is out

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
cmenard

S3D Version 2.1.1 is out

Post by cmenard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:07 am

I just happened to check the S3D downloads page and 2.1.1 is available. Only thing that sticks out is you can now set the filament value per kilogram in the process settings "other" tab.

Well, looks like the Changelog has been updated. Huh..

http://www.simplify3d.com/software/changelog/

Tim

Re: S3D Version 2.1.1 is out

Post by Tim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:01 am

I am mostly interested in "Miscellaneous improvements to slicer stability and robustness". See if the memory leaks have disappeared, or if the slicer continues to confuse interiors and exteriors. I sent them three bug reports with valid errors, with examples, about a month ago, and got no response.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:45 am

And how come on the website it says "downloads are accessible from within the software. Click Help > Check for Updates", but when I do that, I get a pop-up window that says "Your software is up to date!"?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:58 am

haha tim the update button has not been activated yet...i guess. that thing has never worked. i see they finally put the change log up for 2.1 also. i have been using the update for a couple days now. its mostly bug fixes which were needed to really complete the 2.1 update. so far everyone has been pretty happy with the update.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:08 pm

For those "not in the know", you can go to the Simplify3D download page and enter the original key you were given, and it's good for the new version.

Now for my assessment: At least they didn't make anything worse, as far as I can tell. However, I worked through my list of known bugs, and they are all still present. The memory leak issue is not resolved. The confusion between interiors and exteriors is not resolved. It still does not truly support the object file format (fails on anything polygon with more than three points). I would give them a failing grade if it weren't for the fact that their toolpath generation and support structure generation are both best-in-class. So I guess it averages out at about a B-minus.

jmilkey

Post by jmilkey » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey Makers...how you Makin it?
(Thats my new tag line...)

So I also fell prey to the software is up to date message...don't believe it.

You need 2.1.1 if you are trying to use Rafts (and likely for other fixes). There is a Separation setting that is critical unless you really like pulling strands of the Raft off the bottom or your part or sanding ABS....

I saw a YouTube video of someone removing their raft and the connection to the part looked like the interface from the structure ....nice and easy to break free....NOT my experience with Rafts.

Anyone other have experience with Rafts on S3D and willing to share I am all ears.

Jmilkey