M2 RAMBo And MW SE-450-24 PSU Wiring diagram or schematics

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
HadMatter

M2 RAMBo And MW SE-450-24 PSU Wiring diagram or schematics

Post by HadMatter » Thu May 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey Folks,

I am having a lot of trouble finding a Wiring Diagram for the connection to the, "RAMBo" ( MoBo on the M2) , from the PSU ( "MEAN WELL SE-450-24"). I am not too sure which version of the M2 it is, I Know It was shipped out sometime in March 2014. Also I am not entirely certain which version of the, "RAMBo" Mobo It is. Looks to be the RAMBo v1.2gp.

The power supply is the MEAN WELL SE-450-24.
If I am not mistaken, that is a 120v ac in, 24v dc single output adjustable rectifier.

I must be having a brain fart because I am not seeing how I could, from the Prewired terminations, achieve these voltages;

Power Input
RAMbo Header M2 Connection Notes
Heated Bed 12V PSU Prewired
Mosfets 19.5V PSU Prewired with jumpers from main 19.5V input
Motors and Logic 19.5V PSU Prewired

I get the feeling that the Populated fields are for a different revision. But for some reason this is all can come up with.

I am aware that the MoBo is rated for 12v-35v DC@ 16a+. (Note: My Intentions are only to configure PSU to this revision's defaults. I am not attempting to alter or modify any of the MakerGear, RAMBo, or MEAN WELL standards.)

Additionally I have recorded a metered readings for voltages, and resistance values as to check for continuity in the jumper conductors from the PSU's terminals, to the terminals on the Input Connector On the MoBo.

I have some high resistance values between certain + and - terminals.

Is this from an EOL component of sorts? Or Is it most likey condutors making contact somwhere they shouldn't be.
(Please Note: These test were all conducted with connector detached from MoBo and PSU NOT energized.

If you cant tell, I'm pulling my hair out over a really simple issue. I'm going to head up for air now. I really hope somebody can help.

Thanks for reading way more than was necessary,

HadMatter

kosal850

Re: M2 RAMBo And MW SE-450-24 PSU Wiring diagram or schemati

Post by kosal850 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Im pretty sure that power supply only puts out 24v on all positives. If your confident in doing this you can double check by reading the power off the leads. The negative is common so it doesn't matter what negative lead you use but i'm 99% sure that power supply only puts out 24v (although there is a voltage adjustment that may allow you to adjust it down to 19v) . As for the heated bed the manufactor/ makergear may have installed a voltage regulator to step that voltage down to 12v (if you have a 12v heated bed) As far as the other inputs the rambo will operate on 24v.

as for wiring the rambo.. here is a link that might help..but im not sure if this is what your looking for... http://reprap.org/wiki/Rambo#Powering_RAMBo look around in there..

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 am

The 19V and 12V numbers are for M2s built before (about) September 2103. (Rick can tell you the switchover date --- I'm just guessing.) M2s before then had two power supply "bricks" -- looking from the front of the M2, the two leads farthest left on THAT printer were 12 volts for the bed heater. The two pairs of terminals in the middle and toward the right were 19 volts for the extruder heater, steppers, and the RAMBo itself.

Currently shipping M2s (and your March 2014 counts) ship with a single 24 volt supply. All three power input pairs on the Phoenix connector on the back of the RAMBo get 24 volts. I didn't look at the diagram, but IIRC, starting from the left side of the printer, it's: common +24 common +24 common +24
(Check the diagrams to be sure!!! Don't count on me not having those backwards!!! But it is three pairs, with one polarity on pins 1, 3 and 5, and the other polarity on pins 2, 4, and 6. And it IS definitely 24 volts on all three pairs!!!

Not sure if commons are tied together. I would guess they should be, but I suppose the circuits could be isolated somehow. There are three separate sets of stuff to power. The pair on the left is DEFINITELY for the bed heater (as is the 15A automotive fuse on the board). Not sure how the steppers, hot end and RAMBo power are distributed on the other pairs, though.

Hope this helps.
Dale

HadMatter

Post by HadMatter » Fri May 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for responses. I have a little more confidence in my self now. I'm not sure how, but the polarity on my psu (L2 +/-) came reversed. I fixed it. But, I don't want to energize the board until I see a wiring diagram or the schematics. Or, someone from MakerGear at least confirms the proper configurations.
What I did was ring the wires out from end to end to check continuity, this of course after I had marked the wires with a number book. Then, disconnected the terminations on on two of the psu terminals, Unplugged the connection to the RAMBo, and simply check the resistance. I am apprehensive still to "hot check" My configuration as the mosfets, on-board capacitors, thermalsistors, etc. would not appreciate the incorrect polarities too much.

I Really wish I would have been recording my steps with a camera as soon as I sat down to tackle this project.

Now, What the goat noise is wrong with these resistance values? I'm just under 200 Ohms between the + and - rails, The same from the terminations on the connector????
(still de-energized of course.)
Actually, I'm 196-199 Ohms on my cheap-o meter (cen-tech big *** amp clamp/Meg-ohm Meter) set to 200 r.
But my Nice Fluke T5-1000 is telling me between 350-400 ohms. ( standard setting 1k r.)

Additionally I am Wondering. Should I reset before trying to install any firmware or driver support? I am not trying to have compatibility issues with programs after this silliness.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri May 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Have you contacted MakerGear support by email? That is the best way to get a hold of them.

HadMatter

Post by HadMatter » Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Yes and no, I am the son-in-law, of the machine's owner. He has made contact with a technician. I however have not gotten to that point But I suppose that's going to be the next step.
I didn't read all the conversation they had. Based on what I know though, He was unsuccessful in trouble shooting. I am not speaking poorly of either the technician, Nor my father-in-law. I'm simply providing context.
My background in electronics stops marginally above or below "Experienced".
I am a commercial/industrial electrician by trade. But Electronics/Computer science have/has always been a passionate hobby/interest of mine. While at large the two fields are entirely different, starting with whats typical of a "professional". haha. But I have been able to advance both my hobby, and my career, applying the knowledge and skills I have obtained by one to the other and vice versa.

Back to the point!!!

My Confidence to patience ratio has increased enough for me to attempt a test run. Now, a red led has come on near the usb port. It appears to be labled, "LED2". Additionally there is an Orange led right next to the Green one, that blinks (dimly) two times, in two second intervals after the red light comes on. additionally nothing is powering on. (i.e. fans, motors, software in windows.)

I will cease to attempt an energized trouble shoot.

I wish I had built this thing from start to finish. Not missing a single circuit, driver, program, or specification in the process.

Hatter

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri May 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Just in case you haven't seen this, this is the wiring harness diagram for the kit assembly: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/7 ... 13.pdf?917

Go through and make sure everything looks like it is correct.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri May 09, 2014 8:53 pm

jsc wrote:Just in case you haven't seen this, this is the wiring harness diagram for the kit assembly: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/7 ... 13.pdf?917
Go through and make sure everything looks like it is correct.
Check page 3 of the document that Jin pointed you to above. Note that the picture of the RAMBo board is aligned with the FRONT of the printer to the LEFT of the page. The power connectors (back of printer) are on the RIGHT side of the page. On the six-pin connector, the pin furthest toward the LEFT side of the PRINTER (closest to TOP of page) is 24V common for the bed heater. If I (arbitrarily) assign that as "pin 1" of the six-pin Phoenix connector, the pins are:

1 = 24V common for bed heater
2 = +24V for bed heater
3 = 24V common for hot end heater and all fans
4 = +24V for hot end heater and all fans
5 = 24V common for stepper motors and RAMBo logic power
6 = +24V for steppers and RAMBo (regulated down to 5V or 3.3 or whatever on board)

That should get you there for power.

There's also a jumper on the board to determine whether it gets power from USB or from the 24V PS. Normally you will want this to select the 24V PS, so you can do stuff like print from SD card without PC attached.

One more thing: heaters and thermistors are not polarity-sensitive. They can be wired / plugged in "either" way. (The connectors may be keyed one way, but the wiring of heaters and thermistors to the connectors works either way.) Even though the limit switches themselves are not polarized devices (it's a switch, fer cryin' out loud!), the limit switch connectors only work properly one way, as the connector orientation depends on pull-up or pull-down of the input. See the PDF for details on which two of the three terminals the limit switch wires go to. Stepper motors will run backwards if connected reversed. And fans must be wired with the correct polarity (+ on the fan's red wire).

Hope all this is enough to get you guys going!
Dale

HadMatter

Post by HadMatter » Sun May 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Well, Thank you all for the Information. Unfortunately, I am still unable to get it operating at this juncture but I am convinced it is due to issues irrelevant to this topic.

However I appreciate the effort you have all put in to helping me resolve this very simple issue. I am 110% certain my circuitry is exactly as it should be. I am simply uncertain as to why I can't even successfully get a warm boot operation of sorts in order here. I have followed the directions step-by-step for firmware, drivers, and software installation and use. and still nothing.
It is quite peculiar. However, I am going to need to email Maker Gear about this one. Prior to My Father-in-law's request for assistance. I hadn't ever paid close attention to these machines or what they are capable of. After 5 consecutive days of reading and researching Not only the MakerGear M2. But a large variety of 3d printers, and what they have already accomplished with these magnificent devices.
I am bound and determined to Continue educating myself until I have a full working knowledge of the function and application of each component.

Had Matter

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Mon May 12, 2014 12:25 am

Maybe something interfering is holding down the reset button?