What is this witchcraft

General discussion topics
rsilvers

Re: What is this witchcraft

Post by rsilvers » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:44 am

Wouldn't a Kraken ooz or not stay up to pressure? It is nice to have something that you can move from printer to printer.

I like the idea of it. I hope that it works well and is reliable.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:03 am

Dont get me wrong - I love the idea - not in love with the price

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:50 pm

mitchfrommosaic wrote: Hey SouthSideofdaSky

Reliability has been a focus from day one. Nothing more frustrating then returning to a print after a few hours and seeing a plastic mess or stalled extruder and I think we've all been there. We needed to ensure that The Palette would not be another source for failed prints and so reliability is always the top design constraint. This meant designing The Palette's filament drive systems so that filament passes through reliably with no chance of jamming as well as adding several sensors into The Palette to provide feedback (to name a few).

To put some numbers to the prints you can see on the campaign, the orange, red, and yellow pyramid was a 6 hour print. Other more complex prints had hundreds of colour changes meaning, The Palette reliably spliced filament hundreds of times live during the print. Of course reliability is hard to quantify until you have a production unit tested for a few months but I hope that this gives some perspective as to where we are with the Palette now.
Thanks for the reply! I may have sounded doubtful in the last post. I think I'm just a little skeptical because sometimes I still have trouble with a single roll of stock PLA going through a single extruder. :roll: :D

Like you say, I think we've all been there.

I was impressed by the visual quality of the prints shown on the page. I look forward to seeing where this goes and I contributed to your campaign.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:37 am

Today I spliced some PLA and printed this:

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:55 am

Can I ask what splicing method you used? Was it melting them together or the super glue?

Looks great by the way.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:35 am

I dipped the ends in Weld-On #3 and then pressed them together. It does not seem practical. Heat or ultrasonic is the way to go.

eddyogi

Post by eddyogi » Sun May 31, 2015 10:19 pm

I'm proud to say I am a backer of this witchcraft! He he. Really looking forward to getting this by January next year! And got an email from MakerGear, my M2 kit will ship in 5 days! Yahoo! (yahoo.com, please don't sue me)
3D printing enthusiast

Makergear M2
Makerbot Replicator 2, heavily modified
Robox, kickstarter version
Mojo

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:43 am

eddyogi wrote:I'm proud to say I am a backer of this witchcraft! He he. Really looking forward to getting this by January next year!
By announcing this, you know we're all waiting for you to give us the full run-down when it arrives. January, huh. Well, at least you'll have plenty of time to get used to printing in single colors.

04kmorri

Post by 04kmorri » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:08 am

I was thinking of something like this on Monday, but my idea was to use stepper motors and rubber coated pulley to push each material into a funnel that leads to the material guide and just have it apply a little pressure to maintain an even flow of material, with a way to cut each piece as needed during the feed, but cool item.