simplify3d v3.0

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

simplify3d v3.0

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:32 am

well the new update is available for download. i have been testing this for about a week and can say they really did an awesome job on it. its a real major improvement. here is a short list of things i have noticed.

1: infill patterns
2: mirror function
3: memory leak seems to be fixed
4: move models on the table in groups.
5: scale by measurement
6: factory file now saves scale
7: 3d transform gismo. move and rotate models in 3d
8: wipe walls and towers
9: retract wile wiping
10: avoid crossing outlines while performing travel moves
11: your custom profiles are saved and handled differently
12: separate meshes
13: undo
14: select a surface to place on the bed
15: bridging inflation distance
16: the slicer speed has gone through the roof. slices almost instantly.

there is a bunch more. you now have an account in the cloud where you can manage your licenses. you will need to create that account to download the new version.

https://cloud.simplify3d.com/account/upgrade

jereywolf

Re: simplify3d v3.0

Post by jereywolf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:56 am

This is exciting! Especially the select a surface to place on the bed. I've spent too much time trying to place things that were cut at weird angles to be completely flat.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:13 am

Wow, that is a major update. I'm most happy that they finally fixed the memory leak, although recently I doubled my memory to 16GB and that seemed to take care of the problem for all practical purposes. Thanks for mentioning it on the forum. I tend to miss these things until way late.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:19 am

Woohoo! Can't wait to get in there and play! Thanks for doing the beta testing! (used to hate doing that - although i'm sure these guys don't release updates before testing them for bugs at least once.) :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:20 am

its been killing me not to say anything. ive been sitting on this for over a week and jann swore me to secrecy. lol this is the second or third go around ive had with testing s3d versions. their stuff is usually pretty good. they do most of the testing themselves but they do like to give it to some of the users to give it a run through. i found a couple very minor glitches or oddities. one thing to note, when printing over usb, the temp setting in the control panel now changes to what the last temp command that was sent. for instance i always had the panel set to 96 for the bed so i could just click on or off. at the end of the print the value goes to zero. i thought i was losin it but its actually supposed to work like that now. octoprint does the same thing. it reads the current setpoint and the actual. another thing that was a head scratcher was to add one of your custom profiles you need to have the process window closed then goto file/import. process window is open import is greyed out.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Sorry you were forced to keep it under wraps for so long, Jim. You did a good job, though. Didn't even drop a hint.

I downloaded 3.0 this morning and got it set up, although it won't be until after work hours that I get to play with it.

My only complaint is that it always annoys me to have to have some web account and be logged into it to use a piece of software. It's all part of the Big Brother approach to software, and old-time paranoid hacker types like me are never comfortable with it.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:52 pm

You dont need to be logged in to use it. You can run it on a pc not connected to internet. The acct thing is just so you can manage licenses. People would iccasionally have a lic issue and not be able to install which would require a support email and 2 days downtime to correct it. Now you can do it yourself

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Just a head's up - if you have created custom Starting, Tool Change and Ending scripts for your Profiles, be sure to export a copy and save it somewhere for import into the new S3D update. It doesn't appear to pick up the old ones before installing, it just wipes them out. (Matter of fact - all of the previously created profiles for various machines seem to be gone - just one left, called Default, and there will be beds crashing down after prints all over the place next week. :lol: )

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Its asks you when you install what printer you are running then it downloads the appropriate profile from the cloud. Keeps you from having all those extra profiles you dont need and allows them to make changes and add profiles on the fly.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:47 pm

jimc wrote:Its asks you when you install what printer you are running then it downloads the appropriate profile from the cloud. Keeps you from having all those extra profiles you dont need and allows them to make changes and add profiles on the fly.
It never asked. (Not complaining, just letting you know.) I ran it from a download though, not from the cloud, so maybe that made a difference. I have no problem with less junk cluttering up my lists.