simplify3d v3.0

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

Re: simplify3d v3.0

Post by jimc » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:19 am

ok, having them all lined up in a row is a setting. goto layer tab/start points. that has been there since v2.0 i think. i much prefer to have everything lined up in a seam...but thats me. you can place the seam on a corner and hide it or on a cylinder it will just look like a mold parting line so pretty normal. in any case its much easier to clean things up if its in a line as well. there are multiple options there though so set if how you would like for any model. tiny holes are always tough for any printer. 15% is alot though. maybe you want to go and print some thin wall calibration cubes to make sure your flow is set right as well as double checking you bed gap. if you want to print at different resolutions then set two processes that are applied to different parts of the model. you can easily change layer height between those.

kazolar, i see the pics but you didnt attach the factory file. take the factory file on the v.30 one you are having trouble with. zip it and post it up here.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:42 am

Farr0wn3d wrote:that a tiny hole needs to be compensated for big time (+15%)
After you calibrate the Extrusion Multiplier, a cylinder-and-hole test piece shows what to expect:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42800

For my setup, anything under 2 mm is a lost cause, but, above that, increasing the diameter by a constant +0.2 mm works pretty well:
http://softsolder.com/2013/04/21/makerg ... t-objects/

The measurements from that test showed posts were consistently a bit over and holes a bit under:

For holes under 5 mm, you're better off using nophead's polygonal approximation:
http://softsolder.com/2011/11/25/thing- ... libration/

And, of course, when you really care, ream the holes with an ordinary twist drill to get them spot on.

kazolar

Post by kazolar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm

jimc wrote: kazolar, i see the pics but you didnt attach the factory file. take the factory file on the v.30 one you are having trouble with. zip it and post it up here.
I think I attached the factory file I used in V 2.2.2 earlier, maybe it got lost.
Here is the main thing I am trying to do -- I have a process with support infill set to 100% for both support infill parameters. Then I have extra inflation distance set to 1.5mm.
I used that process in V3 to test it and I got the hanging support structures.
The goal (which I did in v2.2.2) is to have one process for the first 2-3 layers where the support is 100% infill thus creating a quasi raft, then combine with another process where support has the regular 30/70 settings.
I use that approach in v2.2.2 often when I don't want to print a raft, but I know the support is too tall and will not hold as is, and this approach works perfectly (tweak the layer settings for each process so that they get merged correctly)

I did this in v3, and the main issue is that extra inflation distance seems to not work as it did in v2.2.2 -- either only in 1 axis, or it produces weird hanging support.

Thank you if you can figure this out -- I like the UI, I am just really frustrated that I wasted a bunch of printing time and material trying new features which only produced failed prints. I can take it if I made a mistake -- not enough support, or wrong setting or some other such thing, but it's really irritating when I think I'm getting the hang of using S3D -- and know what the various settings do, and translate that to the new version, with the expectation of getting a better print by using the new features -- and I end up with prints I have to re-do, what's more frustrating is that I go back to v2 -- and get a perfect print.

Amphagory

Post by Amphagory » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Can someone upload their fff files for PLA and ABS? I thought I saved my files from V2.22, but I don't know where they are.

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Download file "everything" & install. If it can't find them, they ain't there. A safe site for downloading everything & lots of other stuff Is https://ninite.com/?source=updaterclient
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:35 am

Ed, thanks for the reply. When it comes to anything that has a critical dimension, I just print a quick example of that dimension and go from there. I've been successful doing this. Just wanted to see if there was something I was missing in my calibrations

routr71

Post by routr71 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Amphagory wrote:Can someone upload their fff files for PLA and ABS? I thought I saved my files from V2.22, but I don't know where they are.
v3 added pre-configured profiles for the M2 dual, so they should already have settings for the entire Makergear family of machines. I would try their recommended profiles first.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Personally I have never been able to just run the s3d files as is. They default to running the m2 too fast and I always have to lower the x y speed or else risk skipping steps. I wish they would change the default as it seems a lot of other users have seen the same.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 pm

PcS wrote:Personally I have never been able to just run the s3d files as is. They default to running the m2 too fast and I always have to lower the x y speed or else risk skipping steps. I wish they would change the default as it seems a lot of other users have seen the same.
I just covered my rails in motor oil, and now I print at 140mm/sec for PLA, with 250mm/sec travel moves. The M2 is beefy, use it ;)

i run 1200 accel on the dual, and 1800 on the singles though
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:52 pm

I put 3 in one oil on mine which is a lot thinner oil and still only run at 200 safely.