Device unplugged while connected to port

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
LonV

Device unplugged while connected to port

Post by LonV » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Hey guys, I've been getting this in the last week: "Device unplugged while connected to port" It's like the USB port goes away. Any ideas?

-Lon

Bratag

Re: Device unplugged while connected to port

Post by Bratag » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:11 pm

LonV wrote:Hey guys, I've been getting this in the last week: "Device unplugged while connected to port" It's like the USB port goes away. Any ideas?

-Lon

The first answer you are likely to get is get off USB. Its not a bad suggestion as anything that causes a disruption in the computer attached to the printer can theoretically cause a problem in your print.
If you are disinclined to do that - start looking at software/hardware you have installed recently. Do you have a new USB hub? Perhaps a bluetooth dongle. Something you have changed is causing the computer to lose communication with the printer. Could also be a faulty wire in the USB cable or a bad joint in the USB port itself. Did you trip over the cable ?

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Hmm, I'm not really sure what it is. Now my Z motor is acting funny and when it moves it will cause a disconnect...I've actually seen the Rambo board restart on it's own. Is it possible something is overheating?

No changes on my end.

-Lon

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:38 am

i guess to start off with the simple and obvious stuff. are the connectors going into the rambo from the psu fully inserted? any of the pins corroded or scorched looking? is the main black plug going into the psu fullt plugged in. mine gave me a little head scratcher for about a min the other day. was acting funny and resetting. the first thing you think of is the printer but the ac plug was loose in the back of the supply.

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 am

Everything looks connected fine and I don't have any melting (power, z connector, etc) or corrosion. Is it possible the Z motor is bad (intermittently) and when it's jittery it's sending feedback to Rambo that causes it to wig out? Or is it more likely that I have something bad on the Rambo? This is my original Z motor from the early M2s (but newer Rambo when I upgraded to 24v).

-Lon

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:35 am

lon is it the old z motor that got real hot? steppers dont have any feedback to the rambo. they only move what the rambo tell it to move. is the printer connected to a usb hub? have you tried a different cable? does it act the same when printing from the sd card?

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:43 am

Yeah, it gets very hot (and is old). Tried different cables, same problem. No hub. I've not tried off sd card, I can get it to fail just by jogging Z.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:46 am

well i can say this, if you have the old hot z motor then its probably time to change that even if its not the actual problem. unplug the z motor and jog around x,y,e. does everything seem ok?

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:55 pm

The other motors seem to work fine. I've gone ahead and ordered another Z motor. The weird part is it does work sometimes...I feel like if the motor were bad it would never work.

Anyway, we'll see where that gets me. :)

Thanks!