Corner wall mount spool holder

Share your models and objects...
Farr0wn3d

Corner wall mount spool holder

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:14 am

it was driving me nuts having my ninjaflex dragging so hard in the guide tube that it pretty much prevented it from printing, so I took Dale Reeds idea and ran with it (thank you sir!)
My M2 is in a corner so I make it at a 45 degree angle and made it compatible with many different types of spools, they slide easily on and off but wont come off unless you're removing them.

Thought I would share
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:920454

Dale Reed

Re: Corner wall mount spool holder

Post by Dale Reed » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Nooice! If you have printed it and have it mounted and working, please post a photo of it in action here (or in Printed Object Showcase) and/or add the photo to your Thingiverse page. Just because the pictures on that page don't make it clear what the final orientation would be. (I think I have it figured out, but best to be Captain Obvious in this regard!) I assume it mounts on one of the walls near the corner above the M2, which is sitting at a 45-degree angle to the two walls forming the corner. Is that right?

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:01 pm

the printer is at a 45 degree angle in a corner and yes the spool holder will go above it, between the corner and the printer, I wanted it to be back a bit from the printer so that there wouldnt be as much issue for occasions when the print head was on the far opposite side of where the filament was exiting the spool. its gonna be a 10 hr print so I'm gonna start it pretty quick here and I will try to get it assembled and mounted tomorrow evening. I already have the spindle portion printed, just need to print the base. once its up I'll post some pics

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:45 am

Got it assembled and mounted today, it actually rotates a bit too easily so I had to put a bit of drag on the bearings to prevent it from unwrapping the spool unintentionally
Attachments
20150713_184140_resized.jpg
(769.38 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
20150713_183426_resized.jpg
(672.09 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
20150713_183417_resized.jpg
(711.63 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:17 am

Yep, that's how I thought. A shrunk version of that last photo would be good to include on your Thingie page. Perfect! Takes the friction in the tubing out of the picture entirely.
Dale

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 am

Brilliant!....(Now to figure out how to adapt something like that for an area where it can't be mounted to a wall.) :D

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey, Jules! While you're at it, make a it in a low-humidity box with a desiccant holder to keep the filament dry, and have two spool holders for the dual... ;-)

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 pm

if you don't have a wall to mount to, you could always make a spool holder that mounts to the top plate of the m2. Ive seen a few spool holder designs like that

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:45 am

There are some spool holder designs for the M2 on Thingiverse that you could steal (er, I mean "leverage"). Make an adapter to take the four-screw side mount to go to PVC pipe. You could print the remaining parts, or just make most of the rest out of glued-up pipe.

Adding more weight supported by the top rail (especially if it's supported by the middle of the rail) might exacerbate any bowing of the top plate cause by belt tension and make it harder to "level" the bed. Some here have noted that what seems to be a problem with the glass being bowed upward in the middle might actually be a problem with the top rail being bowed downward, reducing the gap between the nozzle and the bed in the middle. No sense making that worse if it's already a problem.

I'm starting to like the idea of a two-part enclosure (especially for printing ABS), a lower part for heated environment to help with warping, and an upper one to hold the spool(s) (and maybe keep them dry, if you get all crazy with sealing it and coming up with a desiccant plan...)

But what do I know == having not printed ABS (yet). (Got hooked on PETg / PET+.)