Unique situation available...

General discussion topics
insta

Re: Unique situation available...

Post by insta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 am

Jules: Nothing, you're wrong ;)

The walls of the V4 part are a lot more predictable and smooth. I'm not sure why it's a matte finish, the temps are the same.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:29 am

yes im sure you would have set them the same. temp are probably just different just due to the thermistor being located differently in the block or just the thermistor being at one end of the tolerance than the other one is. in any case the gloss is usually varies like that with the temp.i have printed that same filament in black as well and it always prints glossy because i tend to print on the hotter end of the temp range all the time. looks good though. the prints with the v4 look more controlled especially near the corners or start and stops. i kinda expected that with the shorter hot zone of the v4. nice test. i would be curious to see what the v3b print looks like if you did it but dropped the temp 10 deg.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 am

Any lower on temp and the V3b tended to start skipping extruder steps, actually.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 am

jimc beat me to it. I was simply going to type:
insta wrote:... the temps are the same.
.... at the thermistor...

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 am

interesting. i am wondering if that is just from the v3b having the long hot zone and extra drag of the pla through that brass tube. i would suspect the short hot zone of the v4 plus the ptfe liner would allow pla to print a little lower temp. just a guess.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 am

Perhaps, it still doesn't change the fact that the target temps were the same, although nobody has yet argued they aren't. The V4 print is definitely better for this particular PLA. I'm anxious to show my client the difference and get his opinion.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:12 pm

insta wrote:Jules: Nothing, you're wrong ;)

The walls of the V4 part are a lot more predictable and smooth. I'm not sure why it's a matte finish, the temps are the same.
Now that does surprise me - the finish is exactly why I chose the one on the right as the V4. I have samples of items printed with both the V3b and the V4 all about the place now, and almost universally, the V4 printed ones give the shinier finish. (Although I actually do prefer the matte finish.) Huh!

Wonder what I did differently between the two?

(And from reading the subsequent posts, it might very well have been using a different temp on some of my prints between the two nozzles - I think I'm using a few degrees lower temp on the V4 than i did at first.) Might be worth experimenting with one day, if I ever get back up and running. :D