Anyone tried out the new Mac version of Rhino?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
msmollin

Anyone tried out the new Mac version of Rhino?

Post by msmollin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 pm

I've been meaning to get the windows version, but I'm mostly a Mac guy so the new Mac version is very tempting.

That... and it's like 75% off the price of the Windows version.

But does it work? :)

jimc

Re: Anyone tried out the new Mac version of Rhino?

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 pm

I have both and been using the mac version for about 2 years. It works great. Its new and not quite as developed as windows version. They are different. Most things are the same as windows version but dont expect everything to be identical. Tools are basically all the same. Its just the overall UI and how things function can be different. If you havent been ising the windows version for a long time its a non issue really but if you a long time user it might take a little to get used to.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Jim covered it. I used Pc version for a long time, started the Mac beta a year or so ago. I use the Mac version exclusively now. It is a bit different, but only slightly. Most of the differences that you will notice in daily use are some keyboard shortcuts in the Mac version are different from the PC version. Every update they produce gets them closer to parity and development is very active.

I would rate it a good buy and I was glad to finally turn off my PC and go full Mac (other than a MacBook running win7 in Boot Camp for my Shopbot)

If you already have Rhino for Windows, you can get the Mac version at a substantial discount. If you participated in the beta tests and also own the Win version, the discount is insane- $95 for Rhino for Mac. It took about three seconds to decide on that purchase! :D
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Haha yeah i did the same. I got the email that went out to the beta testers and i instantly bought it. 95 bucks is a no brainer. That was even when only having a educational pc license

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:40 am

Same here. Except I paid $495 for Windows Rhino so I could use $7000 piece of jewelry design software called Matrix that runs on top of Rhino. Ouch.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites