Fan guards

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
PcS

Re: Fan guards

Post by PcS » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:56 am

Bridging test petg.
Attachments
20150801_060431.jpg
Petg bridging. Not a perfect print ....but 5hose are some long bridges.
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 192 times

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Holy guacamole, Batman! :shock: If that's what taking off the fan guard does, it'd be worth a few replacement fans!!!
(Still trying to figure out what needs to be adjusted while the fan is on, that causes so many folks to stick a wrench into the running fan??? :lol: )

What bridging settings are you using, PcS? That is unbelievable!

For comparison......This is what bridging PETG can look like with guards in place, full fan:
PETG_bridging.jpg
PETG_bridging.jpg (184.6 KiB) Viewed 9436 times
And it's actually worse with the fan off.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:41 pm

When I get home I can post the pet settings I use. However I believe the bridging settings are the s3d defaults.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:31 pm

PcS wrote:When I get home I can post the pet settings I use. However I believe the bridging settings are the s3d defaults.
Huh! The one i showed above was also printed with the S3D defaults (which suck, by the way....i managed to clean that up a lot by fiddling with the extrusion rate and bridging speed) but i'd like to know what yours are to compare to what mine were. If yours match mine, then all of that improvement lies with the lack of fan guard!

Mind Blown! :shock:

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Darn work. If I was home I'd upload them now.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Here is my FFF hope it helps.
Attachments
PetG.zip
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Yes, those bridge settings, (basically zero for everything), are the exact same settings. My printing speed is slower, but you are moving your X/Y and Z axis speeds considerably slower, and have limited the high speed in your Start code - that might have something to do with it too. More experimentation is needed.

Well, I'm going to have to install those wire guards and see what happens. I've been running a slew of (extremely frustrating) tests on bridging with PETG the last couple of days, and you hit it first try with the one thing i didn't test! :lol: (I swear, I've painstakingly adjusted every other possible variable literally dozens of times. ROFL!)

Most helpful......i think we're sneaking up on it!!! :D

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:24 am

It was Dumb Luck on my part. Thanks though ... lol Glad it was of some use.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:26 pm

Oh yeah.......

I dialed down my speeds a bit and ran a last few bridging tests. Got an okay result after the previous days of fiddling. The bridge is still sloppy, but it doesn't break or sag down too far, and at least it supports the next layer.

Then I removed the bed fan screen guard and ran it again with the same settings......

Got about a 40% improvement in the quality of the bridge, and subsequently, the quality of the top layer. The bridge strands did not sag nearly as far before they hardened.

It's just about impossible to see in a photograph, but here they are side by side, with fan guard on the left, no fan guard on the right:
fanguard.jpg
Left side - with fan guard on bed fan. Right side - fan guard removed. Much neater bridging.
fanguard.jpg (168.09 KiB) Viewed 9370 times

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:10 pm

I can tell you that I am so impressed by just dumping the fan guards I am going to be looking at some high airflow fans. I think if I can move enough air I can go even faster and get good looking prints.Glad it looks like it helped some !