PETG or ABS for parts I need to join? Best brand on Amazon?

The place to discuss filament...
jcspball13

PETG or ABS for parts I need to join? Best brand on Amazon?

Post by jcspball13 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:33 am

Just got my M2 about 2 weeks ago, loving it so far. Started out using PLA, working great. But I have a project in mind now that I need to be able to join the parts, so need to move to ABS.

OR can you join PETG the same as ABS? I need the joints to be strong, so actually having the parts "melt" together is what turns me onto ABS, but seems the general consensus is that PETG prints better, especially for a beginner

On a side note, what is the best brand to order from Amazon (Prime). Or is there a better (fast/cheaper) place to buy?

It seems to be hatchbox or eSun, but I figured I would ask the expects here!

Thanks for the input!

jimc

Re: PETG or ABS for parts I need to join? Best brand on Ama

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:58 am

some guys use hatchbox with good results. i have heard other have odd results where it wouldnt melt right with acetone. this shows the chem makeup on it to be a little strange and not like normal abs. not sure what thats all about. just thought i would mention it. i have used alot of esun abs with good results. it does seem to warp slightly less than the average abs. i have done some testing and found the shrink rate to be .8% where most others i have tested to be 1-1.2% depending on brand. less shrink = less warp. abs warp is no fun and why many have moved to petg. esun also makes the petg that most of us use. petg can be solvent welded like abs but not with acetone. you will need some weld-on #4. you can get that from amazon. get it with a needle applicator bottle. buy esun from william at intservo.com. he also sells on amazon. he is treats the makergear gang really good. other than those 2, makergear does have good abs as well. petg has less warp which makes it easy in that manner but i would not say its for a beginner. its trickier to tune and dial in but once you get it it does print nice.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:43 pm

jimc wrote:some guys use hatchbox with good results. i have heard other have odd results where it wouldnt melt right with acetone. this shows the chem makeup on it to be a little strange and not like normal abs. not sure what thats all about. just thought i would mention it. i have used alot of esun abs with good results. it does seem to warp slightly less than the average abs. i have done some testing and found the shrink rate to be .8% where most others i have tested to be 1-1.2% depending on brand. less shrink = less warp. abs warp is no fun and why many have moved to petg. esun also makes the petg that most of us use. petg can be solvent welded like abs but not with acetone. you will need some weld-on #4. you can get that from amazon. get it with a needle applicator bottle. buy esun from william at intservo.com. he also sells on amazon. he is treats the makergear gang really good. other than those 2, makergear does have good abs as well. petg has less warp which makes it easy in that manner but i would not say its for a beginner. its trickier to tune and dial in but once you get it it does print nice.
I have exactly the same question, thanks for the pointer to the petg adhesive

MGuser

Post by MGuser » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 am

My list here has most of the places selling PETG:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2718

And I've used the Weld On #4 to fix cracks, and it does work.