ESUN EPC polycarbonte filament

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

ESUN EPC polycarbonte filament

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:59 am

well i have done some printing with this stuff. its fantastic. ive been printing quite a bit with it. its super strong and rigid. regular polycarb is almost impossible to print with because it warps so bad but with this formula the warp really isnt that bad at all. i found it prints as low as 235-240 or so but to really get it to layer bond well run it at 255-260 or better. temp resistance is fantastic. its prints really clean, no stringing and easy to control blobs and ooze. if you need strength or a higher temp material then this is perfect. so far i cant say enough good things about it. i have done some testing and shrink rate is 0.85%. for dimensional accuracy scale up your parts in x and y that amount. for comparison petg is 0.4% and abs is 0.8-1.2% depending on brand. if this stuff came in a bunch of opaque colors like abs i would never use abs again. this stuff would be great for printer parts. if anyone else gives it a go post up some results. i have a couple spools here and ill update as i print more of it.this stuff is really easy to dial in setting for. about as easy as pla.

Matt_Sharkey

Re: ESUN EPC polycarbonte filament

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 pm

I just got used to PETG. Go away jim :evil:

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:36 pm

I hate clear filaments. I don't print artsy trinkets. Do they have it in any color ? I like the sounds of it property wise though.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:19 pm

PcS wrote:I hate clear filaments. I don't print artsy trinkets.
I'm not keen on natural/clear filaments, either, especially as they're typically just transparent enough to highlight all the layer boundaries inside. However, colorant just adds more variables to the filament behavior, so when a company like eSUN develops something new, they're most likely going to start with natural. If you're experimenting with the properties like heat tolerance and shrinkage, then it shouldn't matter what color it is (but I know it does anyway---aesthetics do matter, especially if you're printing parts for your printer, because Jim has set such a high standard with his hot-rodded red M2!).

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Could this be dyed maybe ? That might make it more tolerable.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:30 pm

PcS wrote:I hate clear filaments. I don't print artsy trinkets. Do they have it in any color ? I like the sounds of it property wise though.
Clear is the natural state of a lot of plastics. I hate artsy prints that need to be colored. ;)

Seriously though, half my parts are either painted by my customers, covered in a sticker, or (most recently) covered in a thick moly grease. Industrial clients FTW
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Is polycarbonate hydrophobic or hydrophilic?

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Tim wrote:Is polycarbonate hydrophobic or hydrophilic?
Polycarbonate makes silica gel look like sand. I swear you could hold more water in a Nalgene bottle made of solid polycarb than a hollow one.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 pm

im not sure what esun's plans are as for colors but i hear ya. i am all about opaque colors. these translucent ones don't do anything for me at all. this stuff isnt clear on the spool like petg. its a cloudy colorless filament. from a functionality point though this stuff is bad ass and easy to print and get a good surface finish as pla. just gotta deal with abs level of warp. it sticks really well to a hairspray bed. i have not tried glue stick since i haven't gotten that to work with anything.....EVER. if they would come out with this in basic solid colors it would be great. black, white, red, blue, yellow and green. this stuff really isn't for artsy trinkets. its for truly functional and high strength items.

as insta said it absorbs water BUT i have no info on esun's blend. it might not be that way. nylon for example suck up water like crazy and i cant even print that stuff without a few hrs in the oven first and it will still steam and crackle. this stuff was not like that. it extrudes clean as can be. if i leave it out for a few days and print again we will see what happens.

intservo

Post by intservo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Quick update on the ePC (eSUN Polycarbonate). It was planned to have only one color (the white color of Apple accessories). But we received not much responses and mixed feedback on the material. They finally decided to release it, but did not bother on colors. This thing still needs pioneers to give them feedback good or bad. One major concern during trial is that the modified stuff has lower printing temp and lower glass point ( I don't have actual number) and thus loses a bit of ordinal PC's property. It is a compromise to warp. All comments good or bad are welcome. If it deemed to have much interest, it is not a problem to provide several mainstream colors. I can cut a roll to samples and send to you if anyone willing to experiment and compare with other PC materials.
The good side of ePC is low warp(as compared to other PC), fire retardant, high glass point (as compared to petg), high strength. In my opinion the ePC is here to stay. It is just a matter to what extend.
Nylon is another example of mixed feedback. They might release it in September. Or have another round of trial. It also got far less interest.
The rubber flex does get all good feedback. ESUN is adjusting their factory equipment for the new rubber flex. And sure will have plenty of colors. If they have one more trial it will be mostly for colors. Stay tuned. Thanks, /William