Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

The place to discuss filament...
sthone

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by sthone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Jules, thanks you so much for taking the time to put this thread together. :D I've been trying to print my fly fishing reel in the black PETG and I've really been putting off playing with the setting because I didn't want to read through 35+ pages of the other PETG thread to find out what works and what doesn't.

It's post like this that deserve a sticky at the top.

-Steve

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Jules wrote:
If i do any write-ups on other filaments, they won't be nearly as wordy.
Attachments
Jules-Filament.jpg
Jules: The most interesting woman in the world
Jules-Filament.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 33169 times
Last edited by Spotopolis on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm trying eSUN PETG on M2 with E3D v6, .60mm nozzle.

Three consecutive failures within 0.25 mm Z height of each other. All at Z~3mm. I'm very happy with print quality up to that point. (Layer thickness set to 0.25mm)
Failure is air printing accompanied by "clunk-clunk" extruder motor sound ". Tear-down always finds plugged nozzle.

After first failure, reduced speed and increased nozzle temperature. Start at 220C, then 230C, then 240C. I expected to see some improvement in response to significant slow down and increased extrusion temperature.

In addition to any suggestions, I'd like to know if the extruder motor getting VERY hot is normal. (finger touch = QUICK!! pull-back ) .
No, the motor does not usually get that hot - the nozzle does of course... Might be because your extruder temp is too low - you should be melting the PETG at above 240°, (I'm not sure the exact number for the e3d nozzle), but it sounds like it might be having to struggle too much to force the filament in, and it is not melting fast enough to get out of the way.

It might also be jamming, and stripping the filament. (Sounds like it. The clunking sound.)

Measure the filament diameter, make sure you have the right settings (the diameter does swing, it ain't a "set it and forget it" proposition).

When it does the clunk-clunk thing - retract the filament completely and look at the end of the filament - has part of it been cut away in an arc? That's stripping, and it happens when the tension is too tight against the filament. It results in the filament flow stopping completely in your print. (Air printing.)

You might need to loosen that filament drive screw up just a bit - there should not be deep grooves from the gear teeth in the end that is feeding through the filament drive, just enough to catch and push it through.

Raise your temperature to the 240°+ range. (You might need to go higher than that, depending on your nozzle.)

Slow printing down to under 60mm/sec. (Trying to force too much in too fast is another quick way to wreck your nozzle.)

And let us know how the next one goes. :)
Last edited by Jules on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks Jules ... for these clues that I'll pursue after cleaning nozzle, and for creating this valuable thread.
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:57 pm

A post like this makes up for the rambling derails between you and jimc, Jules! Karma++ :D
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:29 pm

insta wrote:A post like this makes up for the rambling derails between you and jimc, Jules! Karma++ :D
:D Whew! I.Am.Relieved! (quote from Star Trek movie)

Probably still owe you a couple though, I can pretty much guarantee that I will continue to ramble. ;)

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:06 pm

insta wrote:A post like this makes up for the rambling derails between you and jimc, Jules! Karma++ :D

i dont know what your talking about :mrgreen:

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Lateralg wrote:I'm trying eSUN PETG on M2 with E3D v6, .60mm nozzle.

Three consecutive failures within 0.25 mm Z height of each other. All at Z~3mm. I'm very happy with print quality up to that point. (Layer thickness set to 0.25mm)
Failure is air printing accompanied by "clunk-clunk" extruder motor sound ". Tear-down always finds plugged nozzle.

After first failure, reduced speed and increased nozzle temperature. Start at 220C, then 230C, then 240C. I expected to see some improvement in response to significant slow down and increased extrusion temperature.

In addition to any suggestions, I'd like to know if the extruder motor getting VERY hot is normal. (finger touch = QUICK!! pull-back ) .

gary, i print with my e3d and a .6 nozzle more than anything. i can tell you this..... you cant print fast because the hot end can only melt the plastic so fast. your probably getting to a point in the model where you are just extruding just too fast and the extruder cant push the filament through the hot end like that. drop it down to 3600mm/min and be sure your infill extrusion width is at 100% and not over. use one of the infill patterns that prints every layer. the temp with the e3d should be set at 245-255. not below.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks for the write-up Jules, I'm going to use it on my next PETG print. Already took the fan guards off :D