Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

The place to discuss filament...
Tim

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 am

Farr0wn3d wrote:Already took the fan guards off :D
Now just watch where you put those tweezers.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:33 am

I never broke fans with tweezers or allen drives, it was always the filament itself. I'd feed it up through the filament guide tube, and the natural flex of the tube would guide the filament straight into the fan blades with a precision that would make the semiconductor industry feel foolish.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:08 am

insta wrote:I never broke fans with tweezers or allen drives, it was always the filament itself. I'd feed it up through the filament guide tube, and the natural flex of the tube would guide the filament straight into the fan blades with a precision that would make the semiconductor industry feel foolish.
Ditto that......haven't actually broken anything yet, but those filament ends do have an affinity for the fans. :D

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:30 am

The only thing I've ever put through a fan was the allen head screwdriver when I was mounting or unmounting the fan from the filament drive, ended up breaking off 2 blades from the first fan that was on it, good thing I ordered the spare parts kit for it. havent done it again since... *knock on wood*

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:24 am

What's your favorite print made from PETG?

Anyone?
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:38 am

Lateralg wrote:What's your favorite print made from PETG?
All of them!

I printed a spring to keep the bed from crashing to the bottom; the PETg has the perfect amount of strength and flexibility for it. I printed new extruder assemblies for the dual extruder setup; the PETg has all the high-temperature resistance needed for the job. I made use of the strength and flexibility for dust filters and filament clips; anything that needs to put up with a bit of stress under normal use.

It's very telling that of my things on Thingiverse, the first half are nearly all PLA prints, and the second half are nearly all PETg prints. Now I only work in something other than PETg if I'm experimenting with some more exotic filament like ninjaflex, polycarb, wood filament, bronze filament, etc., etc.

PLA kind of fell out of favor with me the day I put a dent in one of my prints by sitting a mug of hot coffee next to it. The availability of opaque black and white PETg clinched that deal.

I had a brief fling with PET+, but the chemistry wasn't there. . .

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 am

Lateralg wrote:your favorite print made from PETG
My wife's favorite thing is a wrench for the water valves in her garden:
http://softsolder.com/2015/06/04/garden ... rule-them/

It's a butt-ugly OpenSCAD design, but it's also unbreakable and exactly what she wanted.

Life is good...

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 am

insta wrote:I never broke fans with tweezers or allen drives, it was always the filament itself. I'd feed it up through the filament guide tube, and the natural flex of the tube would guide the filament straight into the fan blades with a precision that would make the semiconductor industry feel foolish.

LMAO

MGuser

Post by MGuser » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:14 pm

The black opaque eSun is the only one I'm using now. Interestingly this
MK forum has more PET users than anyplace it seems, but I still posted my summary:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2718
You will want to use an infill of at least 40%, particularly on large prints, or use at least 5 or 6 top layers. This filament is so saggy that it takes several surface layers to fill in the depressions that form over skimpy infill
I seem to have a decent 2-layer surface, on 20% infill, by speeding up the bridge.
The direction of bridging makes a big difference in the quality, with bridging along the x axis (from left to right) being best, and bridging along the y axis (front to back) being worst. Angled bridging falls in between.
How can this be?
Bed: Zebra Plate
Currenly using glass, so I can't see how flat a flexible plate could be. Can you really just lay the plate down and have it as flat as glass? And is it as smooth?
Minimum travel for retraction: unchecked
I just started using retraction minimally and more slowly, and only when the travel distance is more than 50 mm. This is because more/faster retraction was causing the drive gear to dig into and squash the filament, which caused it to get stuck in the extruder.
use one of the infill patterns that prints every layer
Would this be because each layer would have less volume needing to be melted? I am currently infilling every 3rd layer, so I guess that means 3 times the volume.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:48 pm

for your last two.....

for the retraction it sounds like you have your tension too high. it really should not do that. I'm go on printing 40 spools now i think and never had any strip outs from retracting. should be no different in that respect from abs. i retract at 50mm/sec and usually around 1mm give or take.

as for infill there are 2 reasons. one you mentioned already which is the volume of plastic is less. pets tends to extrude a little slower than other plastics so you can end up with a jam if trying to extrude too fast. perhaps this is your issue above. #2 you want a infill pattern that extrudes every layer otherwise your filament will tend to break up because its constantly bridging little gaps. not all s3d infill patterns print solid on every layer. rectilinear for instance do 45 deg one layer then -45deg the next so it make for a non-solid grid.