bug in Simplify3D?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
DrRobot

bug in Simplify3D?

Post by DrRobot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:31 am

I tried to preview print this model in Simplify3D: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:712520, however, I saw broken edges through out the whole print. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jules

Re: bug in Simplify3D?

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:54 am

Unfortunately, the recent (last month or so) update of S3D is a lot more sensitive to errors (non-manifold edges and whatnot) than the earlier version (2.2). They are still de-bugging. So you either have a choice of installing both versions side-by-side on your computer (which is what I've done) and using the earlier version to slice it if you are in a hurry, or you can use something like netfabb to correct the file.

Only downside to the first option is that you really want to rework your profiles - the earlier version of S3D treated the overlap on infill width a bit differently. The values for infill extrusion width and outline overlap need to be a bit higher in the old version. (I keep a separate set for each, and frankly, it's getting to be a little bit ridiculous now. Between the various nozzles, bed plates and software, i'm about to run out of room for profiles! :P )

I do still slice with the new version on files that i have created, where i know the file is sound. It's got a lot of cool bells and whistles that i love. But for some of the thingiverse files - it's just quicker to use 2.2. :D

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:15 am

Jules wrote:Unfortunately, the recent (last month or so) update of S3D is a lot more sensitive to errors (non-manifold edges and whatnot) than the earlier version (2.2). They are still de-bugging. So you either have a choice of installing both versions side-by-side on your computer (which is what I've done) and using the earlier version to slice it if you are in a hurry, or you can use something like netfabb to correct the file.

Only downside to the first option is that you really want to rework your profiles - the earlier version of S3D treated the overlap on infill width a bit differently. The values for infill extrusion width and outline overlap need to be a bit higher in the old version. (I keep a separate set for each, and frankly, it's getting to be a little bit ridiculous now. Between the various nozzles, bed plates and software, i'm about to run out of room for profiles! :P )

I do still slice with the new version on files that i have created, where i know the file is sound. It's got a lot of cool bells and whistles that i love. But for some of the thingiverse files - it's just quicker to use 2.2. :D
OK, thanks! :)

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Another bug/user error issue:

After a print my bed heater has a tendency to pop on. When it happens I lose manual control over both my bed heater and hot end. Any ideas why this happens? I run PLA so my bed is never heated which just adds to my confusion.
Love Always,
MtG

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:Another bug/user error issue:

After a print my bed heater has a tendency to pop on. When it happens I lose manual control over both my bed heater and hot end. Any ideas why this happens? I run PLA so my bed is never heated which just adds to my confusion.
Why would you not heat your bed for PLA?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:21 am

i never had that happen. double check your end script to make sure its not tossing a code in there to turn it on. next time you run a print and it does that, open the code file up in a text editor, scroll to the end and see if the bed being turned on is actually a code being inserted in the ending gcode.

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Bratag wrote:Why would you not heat your bed for PLA?
My prints come out much better since I stopped using the bed heater. Zero heat distortion on the lower layers which I was even getting through the raft.

I will give that a look tonight Jim. Something that may be connected that I left out is that S3D is constantly polling my machine for temps. I forget the code right now but it is a solid stream of that code when I am not printing. If my M2 is connected to S3D then it is constant.
Love Always,
MtG

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Yeah thats normal. Every2-3 sec i think it grabs current temp. Everyones does that and wouldnt be a cause.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Mark, I think you are referring to the Machine Control Panel that spits g-code and temp process info when the Verbose box is checked. Jim is referring to the G-code Scripts tab within the print settings dialog.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:02 pm

willnewton wrote:Mark, I think you are referring to the Machine Control Panel that spits g-code and temp process info when the Verbose box is checked. Jim is referring to the G-code Scripts tab within the print settings dialog.
Makes sense to me! Thanks guys.
Love Always,
MtG