nema17 dampers

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
nirfriedman

Re: nema17 dampers

Post by nirfriedman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:53 am

jdacal wrote:you might want to loosen the allen screw on the pulley first since you'll have to adjust the pulley
Just to make sure I understand, these are the screws through the holes on the side of the pulley's body?

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:32 pm

nirfriedman wrote:
jdacal wrote:you might want to loosen the allen screw on the pulley first since you'll have to adjust the pulley
Just to make sure I understand, these are the screws through the holes on the side of the pulley's body?
Sorry for the late reply but yes, the tiny allen screw that holds the pulley on the shaft.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:34 pm

I did find one negative to the dampers. The chassis acts as a heatsink for the motors, so when you switch to the dampers the motors do run hotter since their is no longer a metal to metal connection to the chassis. My Z motor now runs cooler than the X and Y. But I don't think its a huge issue, at least not on mine with the heat sinks I have on them.
jdacal

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:19 am

Neary all steppers naturally run hot if there running near or at spec.
Steppers i currently see designed to work up to 80c as an operating temperature.

I've got a slightly modified setup, but my hottest stepper is 60c and i am using dampers. Personally, id not get to bothered unless i was approaching that 80c mark.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 am

Its not a lot, mine are running at 52C with the heatsinks, the drive stepper is at 50C (also has heat sinks). That was about 7 hours into a 9 hour print. Z is at 48C

I originally thought it was a lot more as they felt much hotter on my thumbs, measured them after the original post.
jdacal

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:08 am

Even without the heatsink effect of the frame, you'd never be able to overheat the motors before the drivers burn up. One of my cnc mills uses steppers and it's in my garage in Phoenix so it is often at 110F before I even turn it on. It will be fine, enjoy the newfound silence and don't worry about it. Cheers, c

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:23 am

Just installed mine. Like everyone else who has put them on, I'm astonished by the difference. Unlike the people throwing on Noctuas for extra quiet, though, I went the other way and put on the loudest buzzsaw fans I could find, so the total noise reduction isn't as much as it could be when they kick in. Still, white noise is better than a high pitched whine.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 am

I've got two Noctua's coming in tomorrow, can't wait. Its going to be eerie, all that motion with so little sound. I'm going to try putting a 30-40mm fan adapter on JimC's e3d drive and stepping down the RPM's on the 40mm fan.
jdacal

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Vandal968 wrote:I just checked, it's a 60mm 12v fan. This should be the correct replacement, I'll know for sure on Tuesday.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQ ... ailpages00

cheers,
c
I just got back from a trip and found this fan waiting for me from Amazon. This Noctua uses a 4-wire PWM cable rather than a 3-wire like the 40mm fans. The connector in the MakerGear power supply is only two pins and there is no combination of adapters that allows you to wire it in without splicing. I had to use two of the splicing connectors that came with the 40mm Noctua fans (the 60mm doesn't include them). Although the fan itself is silent, sound reduction once it's all assembled is about 50% compared to stock. I think it's because of noise generated sucking air across the holes in the PSU cases (inner and outer). A definite, noticeable improvement, but nowhere near the miraculous difference made by swapping the 40mm fans & ditching the MakerGear fan shrouds (probably 90% quieter) and it's quite a bit more effort (there are about a million screws involved in opening the power-supply). YMMV (but probably not).

cheers,
c

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 am

jdacal wrote: Sorry for the late reply but yes, the tiny allen screw that holds the pulley on the shaft.
Thanks! it was much easier than I thought it would be, and the printer now cannot be heard from the other room :-). The fans are still noisy, and I am debating whether to change the main fans or not (but before that I will install the dual-head kit).