Filament recycler worth it?

The place to discuss filament...
DrRobot

Filament recycler worth it?

Post by DrRobot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I recently have failed some prints and think it would be nice to have a machine to turn garbage prints back into filament. So I did a search and found several brands out there. Anyone on this forum has experience with filament recyclers? Does it worth it? And which brand would you recommend? Thanks!

jimc

Re: Filament recycler worth it?

Post by jimc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:46 pm

2-3 years ago when a spool of good filament cost 60 bucks but not anymore. You can get quality fliament in the $20 range. Not to mention you are only supposed to do a mix of 10% old material to 90% new resin.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:13 am

jimc wrote:Not to mention you are only supposed to do a mix of 10% old material to 90% new resin.
I didn't know that :D I thought one can use 100% old material...

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:20 am

Im sure you can do whatever you want but how well it works out is another thing and i have no info for you on that. I am no pro by any means. Insta used to extrude his own stuff for awhile. He would have better info on it than me. Seems the extruding your own filament thing is dying out but back when it was more popular that was the general guide 10%/90%.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:59 am

Yeah Jim's on the money. I used to run a Filastruder ... had feed problems with it (virgin pellets, too). When it worked, it was great. I could make 10lbs of amazing MG94 filament for $35. MG94 is easily my favorite ABS resin, and nobody uses it because it's more expensive than PA747 or the various Chinese blends (probably automotive regrind / surplus).

I'm actually trying to find somebody local to run the extruders for me, and I'll just pay them for the time, so I can use good resin for the times I really need it.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org