Crack CNC Mill

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
jsc

Re: Crack CNC Mill

Post by jsc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Oh man. Don't get Ed started on the dangers of unenclosed high power lasers. What was the warning phrase he used, "do not look into laser with remaining eye"?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:51 pm

jsc wrote:Don't get Ed started
My work here is done...

lem

Post by lem » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Oh man. Don't get Ed started on the dangers of unenclosed high power lasers
Well, you don't have to be stupid.

You don't stand in front of a gun someone shoots, either, well, more than once.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 am

lem wrote:Well, you don't have to be stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ser+cutter

Le sigh...

chad

Post by chad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:09 am

I've worked with lasers for many years and because of the availability of high power laser diodes everybody and their uncle can have a couple of watts of blue for a couple of hundred bux. Unfortunately a vast amount of these people really don't understand what they are playing with and don't give it the respect that it deserves.

Anything above 400mw Is a class 4 laser and needs to be certified by the CDRH (Center for Devices and Radio logical Hazards). Remember laser stands for: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Aside from the acute photon density damage (burning) there are also photochemical hazards to the eye just because of the wavelength (all of the cheap blue (445nm) and near UV (405nm)) lasers contribute to a cumulative retinal damage. You know how the sun can "bleach" things? Well that is because the blue end of the visible spectrum has higher photon energy that causes oxidation of materials. This can also happen in the eye. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ener ... ght_hazard

Looks like ED and I are going to agree on this one. Lasers aren't toys, and if used need to be treated with great respect and care.

chad

lem

Post by lem » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 am

Ok, look guys, I don't disagree that one needs to be careful, but not everyone is an idiot. My background is in physics and I'm perfectly aware of what lasers can do. I've been working with lasers since 1968. Not one accident or injury in 47 years. If one has the proper training then they are no more dangerous than many other devices people use.

Without looking at any data I think that there are a lot more people killed on the highways in a day than there are eye or burn injuries from lasers on any given day. Yet, most of us get in a car on a daily basis and don't even think about it.

The bottom line here is if you don't know what your doing then don't do it. I really didn't mean to cause a big stir, but started this out as somewhat humorous.

My bad.

chad

Post by chad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:50 am

Hi Lem,

I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just presenting facts. I understand that driving is dangerous and that not everybody is an idiot. Although wile driving that statement gets proven wrong on a daily basis. :) I'm not worried about you adding a laser cutter I am worried about someone who doesn't have the training and experience doing it and damaging their eyes or some one elses, we only get two of them. That's all. The pointer (lazorz teh burn electrical tape and popbaloons) crowd prove that not everyone appreciates the hazards.

You said that you have been working with lasers for a long time.. Back when 4W of laser needed a Coherent purelight star that was 8" sq by 5 foot long and needed thre phase at 50A with 10GPM of water cooling and cost $35k would tend to weed out people who wanted to burn stuff and pop balloons. Now you can do 6 watts in something you can hold in your hand. I'm not going to even touch the pure legal and liability aspects of this...

Anyway that's the last I am going to comment on that. :)

chad
df970626.jpg
df970626.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 14440 times

lem

Post by lem » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:29 pm

I've been thinking about this for three days.

Incredible. I still can't believe it. I think I'll go back and crawl under my rock.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:16 pm

No, no.....Don't go back into hiding - :cry: Absolutely not worried about you using one Larry, I've seen your comments on the forum here and it's quite obvious you do know what you are doing. But I do have to admit to being somewhat concerned about the above-average teenage kid who thinks it sounds really cool to try one of these things, and has easy access to a few instructions on the web that make it possible to set one up. And his not-so-smart buddy who tries to grab it from him, or his kid brother who wants to be just like his big bro.

Sad that we always have to cater to the lowest common denominator in this world, but it's a necessity. There are just too many idiots running around who can easily wreck it for everyone. (Before you know it, you'll be signing your life away just to get freaking nasal decongestants, and being treated like a common criminal because you have a cold. Oh, wait......) :P

sprior

Post by sprior » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm a dual extruder M2 owner and my 1000mm X-Carve kit gets delivered tomorrow. I'm still trying to wrap my head around basically having a factory in my basement. I'm even hoping to get into PC board design and milling to beef up my electronics skills (which are mostly theoretical at the moment).