Where to get 12v power for an LED light strip?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Where to get 12v power for an LED light strip?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:59 am

I figured I could tie into the extruder/case fan circuit. the full length only takes .8 of an amp at 12v and I wont be using the whole strip so it will be closer to .6

thoughts?

jsc

Re: Where to get 12v power for an LED light strip?

Post by jsc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:48 am

What I did was run two 12V strips of exactly equal length in series off of the unused extruder heater. That is, until I got a dual extruder.

Now I just use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHU ... ge_o02_s00

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 am

I'm doing 3 lengths, one up each side and one across the top, I figured I would just use the extruder fan since its always on, but I use a remote switched power bar to turn my printer on and off and I have a small 12v power supply that I got from aliexpress for a project that went nowhere, so I'll just use that. :S

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:23 am

I had the same setup as Jin mentioned, with two 12V strips of exactly the same length. Unlike using the fans as a voltage divider, it has a constant load and so keeps the voltage in the middle pretty close to 12V.

But, a few days ago, I installed one of the buck converters that we discussed on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2779

I have to thank jdacal for sending me a few of his spare converters, since he ordered the set of 10.

Although the discussion on the forum thread I just posted the link to was how to generate 12V for the fans, the same applies to the 12V LED strips. The converters have a potentiometer, so first you wire them up to the 24V source, then read the output with a voltmeter and adjust the on-board potentiometer with a jeweler's screwdriver until the output reads 12V. Then connect the output to the LED strip(s).

Just make sure you have the polarity of the 24V input correct. Electrolytic capacitors explode when reverse-biased.

The small 12V supply you mentioned will work just fine, but the buck converter is tiny and can fit somewhere inside the electronics box, so no extra wires or plugs. Also the fancy-schmancy remote controlled thing that Jin got will work just fine, too, although personally, I already have too many remote controls in my house.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:36 am

Oh excellent! Thanks Tim, just ordered the buck converter and both the fans too haha