How to print 2 parts as a single part?

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
DrRobot

How to print 2 parts as a single part?

Post by DrRobot » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:33 am

As shown in the picture, I want to print these two parts as a single part without any gap between them. I tried to manually align them, but there is always a small gap between them, which causes a hole in the print preview. Should I use other software to merge them first? I only have the STL files for each part. I am new to 3D modeling, so any help is highly appreciated! :D
Attachments
(T]@}D423ZA35(4``[V1{0N.png
(T]@}D423ZA35(4``[V1{0N.png (146.25 KiB) Viewed 8745 times

ednisley

Re: How to print 2 parts as a single part?

Post by ednisley » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:07 pm

DrRobot wrote:there is always a small gap between them
Most likely, the original model includes a slight clearance between the tongue and the groove to ensure a proper slide fit after printing.

You can probably use something like MeshMixer to blend the two parts, although maintaining the intended alignment may be tricky.

Alternatively, print them separately and glue the parts together, using a flat surface to ensure proper alignment. Net, that may be less hassle than modifying the STL files...

WHich is the problem with getting only the STL files (or getting the solid model, but not the spendy CAD software that produced them): you can't modify the "source code", no matter what license applies to the model.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:33 pm

ednisley wrote:
DrRobot wrote:there is always a small gap between them
WHich is the problem with getting only the STL files (or getting the solid model, but not the spendy CAD software that produced them): you can't modify the "source code", no matter what license applies to the model.
Thanks! I tried to merge the surfaces in Rhino, but I simply couldn't select any surface of the model, I guess that's the license problem you talked about:(

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:00 pm

What's the part? If you are handy, I would just redraw the whole thing in your CAD of choice, it is a pretty simple part. You can use the originals as a template for a 2D sketch, then extrude it the appropriate distance. If you are handy in a different way, you could use meshmixer to draw out the adjoining faces on the tongue just a little, then merge them together. But I tend to rage quit meshmixer shortly after trying to do anything with it.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:37 pm

These are the parts for the InMoov robot. I agree it's hard to use Meshmixer...for now I'll just print them separately and glue them together, seems that's the easiest way to go. Thanks for the reply!

Kulturfolger

Post by Kulturfolger » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Try Meshlab. Simply use “Import Mesh” to open all your .stl files. Navigate to Filters -> Layer and Attribute Management -> Flatten Visible Layers’ Click “apply” Export Mesh as… -> merged.stl - Download Meshlab here, and yes, it crashes a lot, thats why its called Crashlab: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net

Ingo
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Kulturfolger wrote:Try Meshlab. Simply use “Import Mesh” to open all your .stl files. Navigate to Filters -> Layer and Attribute Management -> Flatten Visible Layers’ Click “apply” Export Mesh as… -> merged.stl - Download Meshlab here, and yes, it crashes a lot, thats why its called Crashlab: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net

Ingo
Thanks! I just tried Meshlab. I was able to align those two parts and save to a single mesh, however there is still a small gap since these two parts won't fit exactly.