Zebra Plate

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
ednisley

Re: Zebra Plate

Post by ednisley » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Tim wrote:a minute or two to adjust
A bit more than that for me, but you know how I am when I get started. [sigh]

Barring major life events like hauling the M2 to Detroit for a show-n-tell or installing a mis-punched washer, the platform stays aligned and Just Works for months at a time, after which a quick tweak is all that's needed.
http://softsolder.com/2015/09/08/3d-pri ... ls-matter/

I like your grid-based measurement lashup that can compensate for platform warp, even if that's nowhere near ready for Prime Time right now.
Tim wrote:a universal effect
The other universal truth: a platform adhesive that works perfectly for someone will behave like silicone lube for someone else. I use pump-spray Suave Max Hold with complete success for PLA / PETG, where purple glue stick and white glue fail completely. Kapton tape held ABS firmly to my Thing-O-Matic's hacked aluminum-plate platform; ABS slurry peeled right off.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:18 pm

ednisley wrote:A bit more than that for me, but you know how I am when I get started.
The "minute or two" figure was a median, not an average. There are occasions in which it takes a lot longer, mostly because I'm about to do a print that takes up a large area of the base and want it to be level much further out to the edges than I normally care about. And there are occasions in which it takes a lot longer, because some days are like that.
I like your grid-based measurement lashup that can compensate for platform warp, even if that's nowhere near ready for Prime Time right now.
Well, the algorithm isn't mine, although I recently improved it by lifting the restriction that it can only work inside the measured grid by the simple expedient of having it extrapolate values outside the grid. And I got that modification folded back into the Smoothieware distribution. But true to your "nowhere near ready for Prime Time" assertion, it just somehow lost the X offset that I thought I programmed into it and tried to run the extruder assembly into negative X value territory. Now I have a new bug to investigate.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:17 am

must be your code i am using tim :)
i switch between eh two modes of smoothiewear auto tramming depending on my parinioa on the plate bieng perfectly flat.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:54 pm

innkeeper wrote:must be your code i am using tim :)
i switch between eh two modes of smoothiewear auto tramming depending on my parinioa on the plate bieng perfectly flat.
Are you using both the Z-probe and the Z-min endstop?

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:22 pm

I am using the zprobe also as the z endstop....

the idea is that once it finishes doing the tram, it then will go and do the z0 homing, and since the traming references its first traming point for +/- offsets and the z0 as a relative point, I make sure the first tram location, is the same location it sets z0 ... hope that wasn't confusing... I can post the gcode for it.. in fact... I think I have already on one of the smoothie threads here.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Just a head's up: Zebra Plates are on sale, Black Friday & Saturday (11/27 & 28)......

If you were thinking of trying one, or picking up a spare, you can save 15% using the code ZEBRAFRIDAY. (This is at the PrintinZ.com site.) :D

mbonadio

Post by mbonadio » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:40 pm

8x10 seems to be out of stock and unavailable for order :-(

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:51 pm

mbonadio wrote:8x10 seems to be out of stock and unavailable for order :-(
Well crud! :roll:

pcenginefx

Post by pcenginefx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:56 am

They actually are in stock - they were listed as out of stock, but I emailed them and they said that the website was listing the stock wrong and that they did have them available. I just ordered mine for my M2.
//Aaron
3D Print Services | www.3dhubs.com/seattle/hubs/aaron

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:48 pm

I have been using the Zebra plate for 2 months now, I like it so far, however, the plate is not as flat as glass, so it's hard to level the plate perfectly with multiple calibration points