Glowforge laser printer

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
Tim

Re: Glowforge laser printer

Post by Tim » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:18 pm

willnewton wrote:This is 2015 and most folks have a phone that can function as a wi-Fi hotspot.
Only because Verizon settled a lawsuit with the FCC in 2013 over charging for use of public airwaves. But they definitely don't advertise the fact that you are allowed by law to run a free WiFi hotspot. I use FoxFi on my Samsung Galaxy, which I just got a few weeks ago, and it works great. My previous phone pre-dated the Verizon/FCC settlement, and I had to root the phone to be able to create a hotspot. If I didn't go to the trouble of researching the whole lawsuit thing, I would not have known that I even had the choice.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:10 am

An interview with Dan Shapiro that gives some more interesting details: http://www.tested.com/tech/548192-going ... er-cutter/

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:05 am

A video with slightly more info on the workflow: http://www.tested.com/tech/548239-how-g ... ter-works/

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:13 pm

I am joining the party a little late, and I have to apologize because I didn't know this thread was hear and I pre-ordered without using the provided referral link :( so I feel pretty bad about that. I am hoping you had it maxed out already. I am pretty excited about getting this thing but I hate that I am going to have to wait forever for it to be delivered!

I know there are only a few more days left of the pre-order, I am going to leave my referral link here in hopes that I can save a little money. I wish I would have found out about this thing a little sooner!
http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=fWdGAG

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:46 pm

I own a laser engraver, my first was a Chinese made 40 watt water cooled machine and the one I own and operate now is a ULS made in USA 50 watt air cooled machine. There is no way this GlowForge laser is going to make it. After owning and operating a laser engraver for almost 2 years its not going to happen. Lots of Blue Sky, for an educational read head over to Sawmill Creek the Engravers Forum and check out the ongoing heated discussion. The first two Threads were locked down after it went on and on and on.
PS, Do you think a cloud based control system could run your 3D printer? Try a laser running at 2x or 3x the speed.

Link> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... er-Printer
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:26 am

I would imagine that the cloud would generate the code to do particular print and then upload it to the machine. It would suck if you loose Internet connectivity and the machine stops. I think the biggest selling point is ease of use, which is why I pre-ordered one. If I don't like it immediately, I can probably flip it and make a profit on it.

I guess only time will tell.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:31 am

The problem is, having owned and operated two different laser machines its not what it seems to be. I would be surprised if anyone gets one of the pre-ordered machines entry level ones, anywhere close to the time line. Once they are in the hands of customers they are going to have issues.

The lower cost entry grade model is going to be the first problem. A lot of unhappy people will be owning one and selling a used one will be difficult. I was on their website now and see the count down to pre-order changes all the time from 1 hour xx minutes to 4 hours xx minutes depending how long your browsing?
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:39 am

That is weird, the countdown on the site remained on time for the last week not matter where I checked it from.

I don't have high expectations for this laser cutter/engraver but with the pre-order discount and referrals I will have only paid $1600 for it. If it can do half of what they claim I think I will be happy.

I respect that you have experience with laser cutters, I have none. But how can you really make a negative judgement on something you haven't had your hands on yet? No disrespect!

I haven't seen a deadline yet, they just say that they will start shipping in December. So there is no reason to even mention time lines yet! I pre-ordered one and they didn't mention a time line at all, only that they will send an email before it ships.

Why will the lower cost entry model be a problem? Have you had one in your hands to actually test yet?
Why would the most successful crowd sourced product in history be hard to re-sell?
Also, there is a 6 month warranty on the basic model, they will even cover shipping both ways! maybe not the best warranty ever but better than nothing!

insta

Post by insta » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:58 pm

$1600 buys me 80 straight hours of laser cutting, with a skilled operator who handles all the maintenance and housing ...

Not sure if this is worth it for me yet :|
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm

insta wrote:$1600 buys me 80 straight hours of laser cutting, with a skilled operator who handles all the maintenance and housing ...

Not sure if this is worth it for me yet :|
Chuckle! Don't want to stop and think about how much my little plastic gizmos cost me..........it ain't about being sensible! (As i frequently discuss with hubs when we chat about how expensive fish is per pound. Every fish caught cuts the price in half, we're down to about $850/lb now.) ROFL! :lol: