Extrusion problem

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Jules

Re: Extrusion problem

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:31 pm

That doesn't look like a clog to me, just leftover white plastic in the nozzle and barrel that will melt the next time you extrude something and flow on out. You can use a torch on those to clear them out if you want, but probably not necessary.

But the hole in the plastic mount looks plugged, that might be where your jam is happening. (Diameter probably swung up on the filament.)

I have no idea how to get it out of there, you can't use a torch or solvent on that part - you can try carefully poking it through with the smallest hex wrench.

It might dislodge the plug without damaging the part.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:52 pm

I used a correctly sized drill bit to drill out the peek and ream it a little. You should not have molten filament in the peek part. Heat creep has caused a jam in that. I had that happen a lot with the v3b. Have a drill and torch handy and you can get going again it is the easiest way . Look at extruder cooling fan and make sure it is at full speed. If you use other people's profiles I have noticed some of them I got in the past had the extruder fan slowed down. I took the fan guards off mine and it helped a ton. Ultimately the V4 hot end is bullet proof I have consistently abused it over the past two years or so and have had one jam because of dirt. Best upgrade for this printer period !!! IMHO.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 pm

PcS wrote:I used a correctly sized drill bit to drill out the peek and ream it a little. You should not have molten filament in the peek part. Heat creep has caused a jam in that. I had that happen a lot with the v3b. Have a drill and torch handy and you can get going again it is the easiest way . Look at extruder cooling fan and make sure it is at full speed. If you use other people's profiles I have noticed some of them I got in the past had the extruder fan slowed down. I took the fan guards off mine and it helped a ton. Ultimately the V4 hot end is bullet proof I have consistently abused it over the past two years or so and have had one jam because of dirt. Best upgrade for this printer period !!! IMHO.
Thanks. Did you use a hand drill? I am afraid to damage the PEEK by doing that. I am thinking about upgrading to V4 hotend now...

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:47 pm

V4 is a good choice. It has a built in heat break, and you can take the temps up higher. Very easy to take apart if you need to:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2942

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Yes a cordless hand drill hand held.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:44 am

PcS wrote:Yes a cordless hand drill hand held.
Thanks! There was a lot of stuff in the PEEK mount. Here is a picture after cleaning:
20151028_190715.jpg
It's hard to tell which part is the tube, which part is the filament, maybe that's another reason not to use white PETg...
Hopefully it will work after this. I didn't see anywhere in S3D that you can set extruder fan speed? I am using an old 2.1.0 version. My bed fan is turned off entirely. I also just removed the fan guard from the extruder fan.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:14 am

Extruder fan should be run at all times during a print, full blast. It is controlled in the stock firmware using a non-standard M108 gcode. Just don't mess with it, and leave it turned on.

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:59 am

Send M108 S255 after it is already running in terminal window and observe if it speeds up at all. If it does problem solved hopefully. The peek is white through to center hole so if you see black in the middle it is filament. But Iooks pretty good in the picture. Does a piece of filament easily slide through it ?

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:16 pm

PcS wrote:Send M108 S255 after it is already running in terminal window and observe if it speeds up at all. If it does problem solved hopefully. The peek is white through to center hole so if you see black in the middle it is filament. But Iooks pretty good in the picture. Does a piece of filament easily slide through it ?
Yes, filament slides through it fine. I did a 1 hour print last night and it seems working fine now. Thanks everybody for the help!

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Glad to hear it !!!