Automatically removing prints?

General discussion topics
thunderbt3

Re: Automatically removing prints?

Post by thunderbt3 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 pm

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Thats pretty cool. the gcode coding part of getting it to do this would be straight froward enough.
looks like an easy mod too....

my biggest fear is what happens when the part dosn't pop off. :shock: defiantly not something i would let run unattended.

I have to admit, assembly line type capability would be awsum....

my active imagination has me picturing some Rube Goldberg type contraption that could swap out build plates... or even some pei on some type of conveyor belt, and as it rounded the end the parts would just fall off into a bin, it could double as one of the axis's movements too for printing.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Quark

Post by Quark » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Now we talking.

I would think that if you are doing a production run, it would be the same print over and over again. Likely if you prep the bed a certain way, the print would behave almost the same every time. Guess certain bed prep methods would't work that don't release that easily when cooled.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 pm

innkeeper wrote:pei on some type of conveyor belt
Makerbot tried a motorized belt with the Thing-O-Matic and it flat-out didn't work. People tried a wide variety of sheets, from paper to Kapton to titanium foil, and nothing worked.

Key problems:
  • Terrible surface flatness, within any reasonable tolerance
  • Poor heat transfer from heated platform through the sheet
  • Absurd mechanical complexity
It's one of those seemingly great ideas, like combining a 3D printer with a milling machine, that looks much worse the closer you get...