New and different dual extruder idea

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
sthone

Re: New and different dual extruder idea

Post by sthone » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Tim wrote:Okay, the real question is why didn't I think to go look at the MakerGear site and see if they actually offer a rail carriage on their spare parts list? Because they do. Just go to "Spare Parts", open the list, and find "Replacement Carriage for either X or Y Rail on M2". $25, and you don't even have to ask for a quote, just put it in the cart and check out.
Well I'll be damned I never thought to look there either I've been running a screwed up block for a year. My Y rail block has a serious wobble to it, (Note - never pry parts off the glass while it's still mounted :oops:) it still prints fine so I've been putting it off because I thought I'd have to spend well over a $100 for a whole new rail.

Thanks for the info :D

-Steve

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:19 am

Okay, the writeup is complete enough to be usable, although I can't quite vouch for its total accuracy.

Again, the URL to my project write-up is

http://opencircuitdesign.com/~tim/3d_pr ... index.html

For anybody who attempts to make use of these instructions, let me know right away if anything is wrong, missing, or otherwise needs fixing.

Thank you all for the discussions leading to and getting through this project. It was a lot of fun.

[edited, 12/23/2015, URL got changed due to problems with iOS, now I have to update all the pointers to the original URL]
Last edited by Tim on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Tim, this looks like a really cool idea! However, the video links are not working in your blog post at all for my iPad. While on my Mac desktop, video one does not work, the others are fine. Perhaps a direct Youtube link or something would help? Thanks!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Yeah, I noticed that, too. No more support for MP4 codecs.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:37 pm

jsc wrote:Yeah, I noticed that, too. No more support for MP4 codecs.
Oh? What format does it need to be in? I just added quicktime, see if that works.

I'm really not sure why two of them work on the desktop but the other one doesn't, since I thought I created them all exactly the same way.

I checked my old iPad, and it's even worse: it doesn't recognize the web page at all, which I find weird.

If the conversion to quicktime format works, then I'll otherwise keep it as-is. Because I'm kind of too busy at the moment trying to find work-arounds for all of the slicers' stupid ideas of how to make dual-extrusion skirts. That and putting up a Christmas tree (which also has a skirt, but I don't need to run it through a post-processor, thankfully).

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Tim wrote:For anybody who attempts to make use of these instructions, let me know right away if anything is wrong, missing, or otherwise needs fixing.
Tim,
thanks for sharing this awesome project, I'm going to start the conversion and I'll post my findings which will hopefully make it even easier for the next person.

The magnets that you linked-to on Amazon can also be purchased directly from the vendor which saves a few dollars on shipping. The website is www.supermagnetman.net and the P/N is Cyl0053

cheers,
c

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Vandal968 wrote:The magnets that you linked-to on Amazon can also be purchased directly from the vendor which saves a few dollars on shipping. The website is http://www.supermagnetman.net and the P/N is Cyl0053
Good find; I didn't realize I could get them directly from the source. If so, I would probably have opted for a 3mm metric size instead of the 0.1". I didn't see all those choices from Amazon.

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Another thing I noticed is that I can't open any of the MakerGear STL files that you linked. All give an error of "Part exceeds maximum dimension" if I try to open in Simplify3D or my CAD software, changes to mm/inch make no difference. If I get them directly from the Github masters, they are fine. All of your STL's (Original STL files) open and print just fine.

cheers,
c

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Vandal968 wrote:Another thing I noticed is that I can't open any of the MakerGear STL files that you linked.
I think the problem is that the links are not the files themselves, even though they say ".STL". They are actually URL links to the github page with the part. If you directly download the link, you probably end up with the github site's HTML code. I have removed the ".STL" from the names and added some clarifying comments. Hope that helps. Thanks for the heads-up!

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Looking for a cad file for the v4 hot end mount plate. Don't see anything on github. Anyone got the file or know where it is?

cheers,
c