Filament drive replacement print

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
bignordique

Filament drive replacement print

Post by bignordique » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:09 pm

I've pushed quite a bit of PETg through my M2 and I've now noticed some issues with feeding a new filament and that the hole in the filament drive appears oblonged.

Searched the forum a bunch, but haven't found a "filament drive replacement" thread. Perhaps its there and I just missed it? Given that these things wear out it seems like there should be easy to locate, authoritative thread on the topic.

Here are my questions/comments:
1. I looked to buy a replacement on makergear.com replacement parts. Strangely, nothing I recognized as "filament drive" is listed?
2. Apparently PLA does not possess sufficient high temperature performance for this application. The original is ABS. I haven't ascended the ABS learning curve and really don't want to. Apparently PETg is usable. Although my 0.35 extruder is generally dedicated to PLA. Rather not risk switching it to PETg.
3. One of the more important features of the filament drive is the filament hole Which is printed as a horizontal tube. Not so sure about getting an acceptable result on something like that. Perhaps there is a drilling operation to give a nice smooth hole?
4. I have found the rsilvers improved filament drive over on thingiverse.com. OK, I like it. But no print parameters are provided?? What's the recommended fill? How many perimeters?? etc. I use slic3r BTW.
5. From my point of view, buying one from Makergear might be the best option. I know it will work. But apparently, this is not the typical solution since Makergear doesn't seem to make it easy?? Given that Makegear does actually sell these things, what's the best way to go about ordering it?

bignordique

Tim

Re: Filament drive replacement print

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:23 pm

bignordique wrote:1. I looked to buy a replacement on makergear.com replacement parts. Strangely, nothing I recognized as "filament drive" is listed?
The github site has the models for the parts. Just contact MakerGear if you want one already printed. The models for the v4 are in their own subdirectory on github, along with the dual extruder parts, so it can be a little tricky to find.

https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/tree/ma ... 4%20Hotend
2. Apparently PLA does not possess sufficient high temperature performance for this application. The original is ABS. I haven't ascended the ABS learning curve and really don't want to. Apparently PETg is usable. Although my 0.35 extruder is generally dedicated to PLA. Rather not risk switching it to PETg.
I print all of my replacement parts in PETg, and it works great.
3. One of the more important features of the filament drive is the filament hole Which is printed as a horizontal tube. Not so sure about getting an acceptable result on something like that. Perhaps there is a drilling operation to give a nice smooth hole?
Drilling with a 2mm drill is recommended. I just ram a length of 2mm diameter steel wire down it a couple of times, and have never had issues.
4. I have found the rsilvers improved filament drive over on thingiverse.com. OK, I like it. But no print parameters are provided?? What's the recommended fill? How many perimeters?? etc. I use slic3r BTW.
I guess if you saw the rsilvers version, it means you're printing a replacement for the v3b extruder? If so, then you're looking for github directory
https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/tree/ma ... 0Parts/STL, but rsilvers' version is the best. Print with a pretty heavy infill, say, 75 percent or so for PETg. All other values can be pretty much standard for the filament you're using (I do 2 perimeters, 3 top and bottom solid layers). Support is recommended, but if you have control over where the support goes (i.e., Simplify3D, not slic3r), then it is usually best not to put support in the 2mm bore. However, I've done that and didn't have any particular problem getting it to come out. But then again, I was using Simplify3D, and they do particularly good support structures.
5. From my point of view, buying one from Makergear might be the best option. I know it will work. But apparently, this is not the typical solution since Makergear doesn't seem to make it easy?? Given that Makegear does actually sell these things, what's the best way to go about ordering it?
Just send an email to support AT makergear.com, and they'll get back to you quickly, although this being almost Christmas, you might not necessarily expect the usual zero- to one-day turnaround.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Order the replacement filament drive in the drop-down here:

http://www.makergear.com/products/m-series-3d-printers

(Specify which nozzle you use in the comments when you order it, V3B or V4, so they send the right one.)

If you print your own from PETG, you can get a much sturdier drive, since you can increase the infill significantly, but you are correct that you have to drill the hole out afterwards, which requires having the correct size drill bit on hand. And you need to have cleaning filament on hand if you switch back and forth from PLA to PETG. (Can't use PLA - it melts.)

But....if you don't have all of that ready, you can just order another one. :D

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:26 pm

when you buy a new V4 hot head it come with everything (i bought 2 plus the one i got with the machine so i have 2 filament drive extra sitting around)

buying a second hot head if u only have the one u are using is always a good idea honestly
http://www.makergear.com/products/m2-upgrades
SINGLE V4 EXTRUDER UPGRADE
this is what u get togheter with the hot-head and nozzle

it comes with everything u need even the metal plate
Btw if u can wait they are close to sell a all metal one i think so maybe u want to wait and go directly all metal

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Jules wrote:Order the replacement filament drive in the drop-down here:

They hide these things in the most obscure places. . .

Thanks for correcting me. :)

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Tim wrote:
Jules wrote:Order the replacement filament drive in the drop-down here:

They hide these things in the most obscure places. . .

Thanks for correcting me. :)
Wasn't correcting you.....that way works too. :) I just happened to remember where it was when i ordered my spare. (Many aeons ago.)

HadMatter

Post by HadMatter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Is this a printable part? If so would anyone mind sharing the link to the file?
Thanks.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:42 pm

HadMatter wrote:Is this a printable part? If so would anyone mind sharing the link to the file?
Thanks.
https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/tree/ma ... 4%20Hotend :D