Modified Ikea enclosure

General discussion topics
dsmith

Re: Modified Ikea enclosure

Post by dsmith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:18 pm

I didn't go with a fan, just leave the door open a couple of inches when printing with ABS so it does not get too hot in there. Works fine. I really like the clean look of the white cabinet with the fan on top though!
-Don
MAJ (Ret.) Don Smith
Owner and CEO
3D Simulations, Inc.
http://www.3DSimulationsInc.com

Katwitch

Post by Katwitch » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:42 pm

dsmith wrote:I didn't go with a fan, just leave the door open a couple of inches when printing with ABS so it does not get too hot in there. Works fine. I really like the clean look of the white cabinet with the fan on top though!
-Don
Right, but if I did use a fan, I was hoping to get some advice.

dsmith

Post by dsmith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Understood... Just wanted to let you know that it works without the fan if you did not get the advice you were looking for. :D
MAJ (Ret.) Don Smith
Owner and CEO
3D Simulations, Inc.
http://www.3DSimulationsInc.com

Dug

Post by Dug » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 pm

I did post the male and female STL files for the cable gland as well as the fan shroud, but looks like they have to be approved by the moderator before they actually show up. I find that the fan certainly makes for a better controlled temperature for larger prints - as well as it allows the door to be closed making it a bit quieter.

Katwitch

Post by Katwitch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 am

Thanks very much Dug.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:11 pm

Is the box just not deep enough to place the M2 forward facing rather than sideways? Seems like it would be annoying trying to remove parts, adjust the z-stop or level the platform with the machine sitting sideways like that, but every Ikea cabinet setup I've seen has it sideways.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 pm

pyronaught wrote:Is the box just not deep enough to place the M2 forward facing rather than sideways? Seems like it would be annoying trying to remove parts, adjust the z-stop or level the platform with the machine sitting sideways like that, but every Ikea cabinet setup I've seen has it sideways.
Correct. If it was slightly deeper, it could accommodate the full travel of the Y-axis.

Dug

Post by Dug » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I don't find it that inconvenient with the printer sideways.... you always end up removing the build plate to remove the parts and the M2 sits biased to the right, which leaves quite a bit of space to the left side (front) to be able to bed-level and the like. I also put another door (solid) on the back side to be able to easily change out the filament. You do have to install some heavy-duty right angle corner brackets at the top (can see in my picture) because you lose the support and squareness when there is no solid back to the cabinet. Have to use push-in screw anchors for the bracket screws because of the hollow/composite nature of the cabinet construction.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 pm

This is the one I built from scratch. The bottom cabinet is for filament storage and the printer section is temperature controlled. One thing I really like about this design is the slide-down door, since you can open and close it without a big door swinging open. It's only possible to do that when you have a lower section for the plexiglass to slide down into. I'm going to be making some more compact stackable boxes but won't be able to put a sliding door on those unfortunately since there will not be a cabinet under the printer. The only thing under the printer will be another printer :)
step19.jpg
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:55 pm

Wow, that is a beauty pyro......

I wish i had a basement. 8-)