Slicing Problem (unnecessary bridging)

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
kartcrg

Slicing Problem (unnecessary bridging)

Post by kartcrg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:05 am

I can't figure out what is causing this. When sliced with my customized process, I get these random bridged sections where there should be nothing. When using a default profile, its slices as it should. I have not been able to find the process setting that is causing this. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks!

How it should look:

How mine looks:

Edit: The solutions in https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3472 work for me but is there a better way that doesn't mess with my OCDness?
Last edited by kartcrg on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Re: Slicing Problem (necessary bridging)

Post by jimc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:26 am

Its not a setting. S3d is just super sensitive to the model. Most of the time its a mesh error if some sort but that error could be large or it could be so small that you wont find it. Its far too sensitive imo so i would consider it a bug. Now if s3d considers it a bug is another story. What is happening is you have a layer that is lining up directly with an error so change your layer height slightly and it will go away. You can also change the first layer height setting one or two percent.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:40 am

I'd consider it a bug. It has bitten me several times; you should always preview your gcode before hitting print to make sure it's not happening. The usual symptom s are holes that are bridged over, missing infill, or strange sections made up entirely of many many perimeters. I'm not convinced it's triggered by model errors, either, it happens on models that should be perfectly well formed. What I think is happening is that a plane happens to fall exactly at a layer boundary and S3D gets confused as to what's outside and inside at that point.

The easiest fix is to use 99% or 101% first layer height, that usually clears it up. Setting a different layer height as jimc suggests will also work, but sometimes I design with particular layer heights in mind, so I don't like to do that.

kartcrg

Post by kartcrg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:49 am

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'll just do the 99% / 101% thing when it happens.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Can you change the slicer to discard segments instead of healing them? It's under "Advanced".
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

kartcrg

Post by kartcrg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:07 pm

insta wrote:Can you change the slicer to discard segments instead of healing them? It's under "Advanced".
Tried that, does''t change anything.