How many females using the M2

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
Jules

Re: How many females using the M2

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:53 am

jsc wrote:A laser cutter is just a vinyl cutter on steroids, and you should have some idea of how popular those are, Jules.

Speaking of which, where exactly is this forum that you run?

It was on Yahoo, before "the change" (and if you've been in a Yahoo group over the last few years, you know exactly what I'm talking about), but we got so terribly pissed off when they forced NEO down our throats that we picked up the whole kit & kaboodle and moved it to the BigTent forums. Lost about 80%+ of the membership when we shifted it, but we were expecting that. Current membership is down to under a couple of thousand, and any newcomers that drift in looking for help. But those were the mainly active members anyway - most people join a forum until they learn what they need to know and then go off to do their own thing. It's called "The Wishblade Group". (Because that was the first craft vinyl cutter to really take off - we actually covered all of them.)

Update: It hadn't occurred to me before you mentioned it, but I think you might be right. It would be a logical next step for a lot of these gals. I wonder if I'll see some old friends (& enemies) from the cutter world over on the Glowforge forum when they start delivery and more people join that forum. (Just a handful of prospective owners over there now, and I just joined myself this week to start scoping things out.)

Botheration! (Unfortunately the enemies are the more likely candidates to pick one of these up. Gaaaahhhh! :? )

JeremyV

Post by JeremyV » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:09 am

Sorry for not responding sooner I've been at a trade show all week.
I am a little shocked how many people were offended by my question. I believe that society has changed how we look at both men and women both are very capable and both are different women are better at certain things then men and men are better at other things. We are different and think different and are physically different one is not better then the other. I spent half the day coaching a young professional 3 gun shooter who is much better at action sports shooting then 99% of all men in the world.
I encourage women to follow there dreams and do what they want.

Also I am plenty happy to take advice from women and respect there opinion! Just like when Jules has given me advice on printing things it didn't matter to me if she was a guy or girl.
I was just wondering what the ratio of men and women is that's all nothing more.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:51 am

No biggie! (Actually those differences are what makes life fun.....think of how dull the world would be without them!) :lol:

Still don't like politicians though......

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:39 pm

JeremyV wrote:I am a little shocked how many people were offended by my question.

I wasn't offended by it, just thought it wouldn't go over well. But what do you know, it spawned a very lively and interesting discussion.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Tim wrote:
JeremyV wrote:I am a little shocked how many people were offended by my question.

I wasn't offended by it, just thought it wouldn't go over well. But what do you know, it spawned a very lively and interesting discussion.
Yeah, it was sensitive, but did not seem maliciously offensive at all. Jeremy, I did not mean my comment about "Would we ask this question about 2d printers?" as negative reply to you, just as a rhetorical question to provoke some thinking.

I have had this thread in mind for several days. You really could insert many descriptors in place of the word "females" and generate conversations that could go in many directions.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Chuckle! I have to wonder if you guys didn't instinctively see that it had the potential to set me off on one of my rants again, and were trying to head me off at the pass! ;)
(Tim, Will and Insta have known me a lot longer.)

Didn't work. Good try though! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it is an interesting discussion. :D
Last edited by Jules on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyV

Post by JeremyV » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:54 pm

:) well I'm glad we are all mostly on the same page and that unlike many other forums could actually discuss this and figure out what the miscommunication was.
I have been very impressed with the quality of people on this forum and am thankful to be apart of it. :)

lem

Post by lem » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Yeah, no offense intended or taken. If we can't talk about these types of things, they will never change.

JeremyV

Post by JeremyV » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 pm

So if we go back to my original question the answer would be that there is a higher percentage of guys 3d printing correct?
Like you guys and gals ;) were saying the laser cnc cutters are getting more popular for crafts and art so I'm wondering if in the near future we might actually see a switch where more women then men are printing with standard 3d printers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Kind of doubt we'll see it in the near future, although you will start to see the trickle of more and more women discovering it and giving it a try. Mainly jewelry designers, artists, and whatnot at first.

The change is happening, (now - or I wouldn't be here :D ), but to get something as big as this to change direction takes decades, and usually several generations. My mom is one of those delicate southern belles who can't put gas in her own car, and for that matter, has to be driven most places. It's okay though, she likes it that way just fine. (It's like trying to turn an ocean liner - you don't do that on a dime.)

Now if you're asking specifically why more gals have not gotten interested in 3D printing as opposed to cutting - that's very simple.......you guys haven't made it applicable to scrap-booking yet! :lol:

That's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but also true to a certain extent - the ladies have to see a use for it, something that they are interested in doing with it, and they need to see themselves making things that suit their interests. The little vinyl cutters were easy enough, un-intimidating enough, and inexpensive enough that they gave them a try and liked them, and made cards and scrap-books of the grand-kids and vinyl projects. But for that matter, the cutters didn't really take off until several years in, after additions to the software made them easy enough to use that most people wouldn't have to spend much time learning to design things. The software does a lot of that for you.

The laser cutter will let them take that knowledge and start making handbags and wallets and cases out of leather, and lamp shades and wood projects and home decor too, so it's a logical progression for some of the gals.

And......it might lead some of them to make the jump to 3D printing. But they'll want to play with the laser for a while first.

If you want to hurry the 3D printer adoption process along, you need to think of a way to make the gals (and guys for that matter) "got to have" one. It needs to be mostly automated, with very clear instructions, because no-one has time to learn it from scratch if they're working full-time, or raising a family, or going to school. That's where Glowforge got smart - they actually do the vector creation for you with their in-house software - you don't have to learn to vectorize a raster image. You don't even have to know the difference between a vector and a raster - you just send them the file and they take care of it for you.

Not crazy about the cloud aspect of it, but if it works for them, it's a blazing signpost for the direction that the 3D printing industry needs to take to enjoy the same kind of surge.*

Whew! Okay, no more philosophical questions......I can't seem to quit once i get going. :roll: :lol:

Update: * To clarify, because that reads as ambiguous: Make it easy to use by taking control of some of the more technical design aspects, don't offer as many choices (make it work with one kind of filament and sell that filament in a lot of colors), preset as much as you can, (fix the level and the nozzle height correctly and don't let the user mess with it), don't offer different layer height and width options, or sell designs on cartridges that automate the process, and give them the opportunity to just change the size of the designs. But take a lot of the technical stuff out of the equation. Make it smaller (cuter), bring down the price, market it as a "craft tool" or "starter printer", get it onto QVC and demo it making flat ornaments, name plates, pendants, and toys for the kids. (The items' demo-ed need to be pretty flat, due to the time constraints, but you can have taller items on display all around, to show what else can be made with them.) The first one that does this is going to kick-start the 3D printing explosion. Once they get their feet wet, people will want a better printer, more options, bigger beds and stronger filaments, and everyone in the industry is going to benefit. People just haven't seen what they can do yet, and applied it to their own lives.

Okay, now I'm done, I promise. :lol: