Securing your bed: Binder clips, none, or other?

General discussion topics
jimc

Re: Securing your bed: Binder clips, none, or other?

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:44 pm

no hard feeling at all. i have never used pei so if that warps a bit then i can see that. i have glass on one printer and aluminum on the other 2. with that stuff there is no warp so everything just sits there inside the corners with nothing needed to hold anything down. just pick up the build plate, remove part and set the plate back down.

kartcrg

Post by kartcrg » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:52 am

creativedex wrote:Also anyone know what the latest revision to the filament drive was for? it was just posted 2 weeks ago
That upload was a result of my request as I made some custom components that work with the drive they sent with my V4 (which we discovered was actually was the dual left drive after he uploaded that one).

Another bed hold down solution... I kept them simple and printed out of PETG. One can swivel open for quick bed removal.

Last edited by kartcrg on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:02 am

That's a good idea. :D

(Hey, everybody up Northeast.....don't go out partying this weekend.) :shock:

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Since most of my prints are small the larger binder clips havent been a problem, when they are i just put them where they wont be in the way. But even just my bed corners without the binder clips its pretty well indexed in so i can print without them (with the glass), but the 1/4in pei requires the clips unless your printing on a 4in square in the middle of the bed

The one issues im sure most people will have with my corner design is that i had to chip the corners off the glass!... which was easy to do with tile snips and sanding the corners.

Did anyone else notice makergear sending out their glass with sanded edges now!? finally a nice finishing touch

The green (abs) ones were one of my very first designs, but turned out decently. thickened up the black (petg) this time around because the abs did warp a bit with 110 degree bed temps. However ive been using them for over a year still without adjustment.

sorry for the blurry pix they both were printing... thin walls too, actually surprised i got shots as good as i did!
Attachments
20160123_120105 (1).jpg
Creativ Dex M2 Corners
20160123_115852.jpg
Creative Dex M2 Corners

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:32 pm

I secure my PEI/GLASS/HEATER combo together with larger binder clips but its getting to the point now where I need something lower profile and less intrusive because they stick up just enough that my cooling duct hits them for the first few layers and I have to have at least 6 binder clips to hold the PEI down well. I keep trying to think of a design that is flush on the top and doesnt encroach on the print area too much. I was thinking maybe a trim frame that covers a few mm of the border the whole way around out of spring steel or something but I havent decided on a good way to clip that down...

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:I secure my PEI/GLASS/HEATER combo together with larger binder clips but its getting to the point now where I need something lower profile and less intrusive because they stick up just enough that my cooling duct hits them for the first few layers and I have to have at least 6 binder clips to hold the PEI down well. I keep trying to think of a design that is flush on the top and doesnt encroach on the print area too much. I was thinking maybe a trim frame that covers a few mm of the border the whole way around out of spring steel or something but I havent decided on a good way to clip that down...

see my previous post with the thingivers link... let me know if you find a US seller too

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Its seems that thingiverse is down at the moment

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:57 am

those clips are perfect creativedex, however I'm not sure where I would get the metal component?

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:44 am

Farr0wn3d wrote:those clips are perfect creativedex, however I'm not sure where I would get the metal component?

lol i asked the guy in the comments on the link but from what ive noticed they arent for sale here in the US or i just dont know what the correct term to search for them is... but they are sold at electrical supply stores in the UK

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:56 pm

well then... Thanks for showing me how great it COULD be... :cry: