Polymaker PolyWood Test

The place to discuss filament...
jhaupt

Polymaker PolyWood Test

Post by jhaupt » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:00 am

I got a free sample of PolyWood from Polymaker at the NY Maker Faire last fall (http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polywood/). Being I had an unexected day off today (snow) I finally tried it. Initially used the same settings I use for PLA but then increased retraction to 2.1mm (from .9).

This is my first time trying wood of any kind but I'm impressed with it. I don't print alot of knick-knacks but the little cat in the picture is a pretty good test print. You can see some stringing in the fine details but it builds very nice and bridging is decent. Extruder temperature was 225C with the v4 nozzle and bed temperaturewas 60C on Zebra Plate. I'll post my FFF file if anyone wants it.

By the time I figured out the retraction setting and found and fixed an unrelated problem with the bed fan I ran out of filament, but I like it enough that I just ordered a full spool. I'll be using it sparingly at about $95/Kg though ($56.99 for 600g).

Also, it sands nicely.

jimc

Re: Polymaker PolyWood Test

Post by jimc » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:24 am

hmmm, nice. looks a little more like pottery though. maybe a little stain will bring out the wood look.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:07 pm

$95/kg??

Is it made from endangered african trees?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:52 pm

insta wrote:Is it made from endangered african trees?
I got a spool of this from the Polymakr (apparently they changed their name to Polymaker) kickstarter. Apparently I got quite a bargain as a kickstarter supporter. But anyway, Polywood has no wood in it at all. It's supposed to be a regular PLA that is run through some process that turns it into a kind of foam. The foam structure is apparently a bit like wood fibers and gives it the wood-like appearance (assuming they use the same formula they did for the kickstarter).
jhaupt wrote:I'll post my FFF file if anyone wants it.

Yes, please. I have been meaning to give my spool a try but it's one of those things I haven't had time to get around to.

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:59 pm

It does look more like pottery in the pictures, but as is usually the case the pictures don't look right. In real life these prints look completely matte (no glossiness).

Polywood FFF:
http://justine-haupt.com/Makergear/PolyWood.fff

FYI my other FFFs are in the same directory and the one labeled Polycarbonate is actually ePC.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:58 am

jhaupt wrote:FYI my other FFFs are in the same directory and the one labeled Polycarbonate is actually ePC.
Got them both, thanks!

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:05 am

Hey Tim, since you're taking a look I'll say that I just yesterday decreased the first layer speed to 40%. I base my settings on what people do in this forum (of course), but I don't understand why people seem to be doing full speed first layers with ePC. Yesterday I had a print start to fail while still on layer one. I resliced with the speed reduction and adhesion was flawless.

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Hah, nevermind about the 40% speed first layer for ePC, I chunk of Zebra plate just came off with a print. I'm going back to 100%.

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 am

"It does look more like pottery in the pictures, but as is usually the case the pictures don't look right. In real life these prints look completely matte (no glossiness).

Polywood FFF:
http://justine-haupt.com/Makergear/PolyWood.fff

FYI my other FFFs are in the same directory and the one labeled Polycarbonate is actually ePC."

Could You please repost your settings? The link doesn't work.