Dual Extruder Settings in 2016?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
scampa123

Dual Extruder Settings in 2016?

Post by scampa123 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:58 am

I've been reading allot of the Dual Extruder posts this evening and I was wondering if the various scripts and tweaks are still necessary, today, when running Simplify3D with the Dual Extruders?

I'd imaging that the mechanical aspects of setting the nozzle height would not have changed...

My main question is around the settings for Simplify3D, the towers and such to get decent prints...Is this more out-of-box with the software today or do allot of these "tweaks" apply?

I'm trying to determine if it's time for me to go to the dual configuration....

Thank you!!

Jules

Re: Dual Extruder Settings in 2016?

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:40 am

Depends on what you mean by "tweaks".

S3D can handle all the towers, shields and whatnot now, (you just check a few boxes), so it's really pretty easy once you get into the habit of specifying which tool you want to use.
(Takes a while to get used to that, true, but not that bad overall.)

You still have to mechanically set the nozzle height for what you'll be printing out of each nozzle:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2917

And you still need to set up a starting and ending script, but they are included in the sample profiles I posted, and are listed separately if you don't want to use the profiles, and several of the guys have had their scripts up for a while.

Simplify3D can handle things now without a separate Tool Change script, but if you want to use one instead of printing a shield or tower, you can. Again, the guys have a couple they like to use.

If you've had your machine long enough to get comfortable with it you could definitely handle the switch. :D

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks Jules! I've read allot of your posts on the dual extruders, and you are definitely an authority on the topic!!

So if I plan on dedicating each extruder (for the most part) to a type of filament...say 0==PLA and 1==Ninjaflex, then the nozzle adjustment is set once. It seems like the only tedious part is setting up the two processes in Simplify3d and associating the parts to the individual process for each extruder & profile. Does that seem correct?

I was also thinking of using Octoprint for the first time on my single extruder. Does the dual affect that? I'm assuming not since by the time it gets to Octoprint the information will already be written into the gcode by Simplify3D...

Thanks again!!

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:28 pm

Oooooh! Now you're rapidly getting out of my area of experience. :(

No idea on the Octoprint (at all) so you'll need to check with one of the other guys - I'm not sure which ones use it, but someone probably has it with a dual.

I've never printed Ninjaflex either, but i do know you'll need to do some different things for it - like positioning the filament above the printer so gravity helps with the feed and using a more "slippery" tube to help it slide. (Been planning to do that myself one of these days - just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

I do know that it's possible to set up individual processes for each filament so that it prints correctly on the dual, so that shouldn't be a problem. I currently have mine set up for PLA on the left and PETG on the right, and it pretty much stays that way unless I need to do a dual color print. Works fine, and it's great to not have to keep re-setting all the temps and filament drive tension all the time (and cleaning filament) when I need to switch. :D

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 am

Thanks! You may want to wait on the NinjaFlex since the company that makes it is about to release Cheetah...This sounds as if it has the the extrude characteristics of ABS, but the flexibility of Ninjaflex...So simpler and faster to print with. Supposedly it was coming out the end of January, so it must be coming soon. I had bought some small spools of Ninjaflex, but may just wait and try the Cheetah filament.