Prototype Auto/Race Data Logger

Show off your prints!!!
apk

Prototype Auto/Race Data Logger

Post by apk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:51 pm

The print is composed of 4 pieces: the front and back shells, plus two pieces which serve to hold the LCD touchscreen in place and support the Raspberry Pi (which mates through a connector to the LCD screen) in the proper place. There's also a 3-axis accelerometer/compass/gyro board (currently mounted on the back of the LCD display) and a GPS receiver in the case. In one photo below the second revision of the shell has the support pieces printed in red filament.
Attachments
logger_boxes3.jpg
First and second revisions... second revision with red mounting supports
logger_open.jpg
First revision front and back with parts mounted inside
logger_working.jpg
Logger program running

Jules

Re: Prototype Auto/Race Data Logger

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Nice looking case! :D

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Very cool setup you have there... nice print too. :D

apk

Post by apk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks! Before getting the MakerGear, I had to find an existing blank enclosure that was about the right size, then dremel the openings for the LCD, connectors, glue in nylon screws as mounting studs, etc. Time consuming, not a lot of fun, and in the end not very pretty. Now I can fit all the parts into one enclosure neatly, and have room left over for a breadboard for prototyping new hardware. And I can make another in four hours without doing any cutting, drilling, or gluing.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Oh my yes. The old way: figure out how you're going to case your project, then use that constraint to design all your electronics around. Then find it doesn't fit because your too large capacitor interferes with something. The new way: design your electronics however you like, and wrap an enclosure around it. So much more civilized.

apk

Post by apk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:59 pm

Revised version of the enclosure: now with the breadboard installed (and 3-axis accelerometer/gyro/compass moved there) and reoriented GPS receiver. When closed, the box is 4.5" x 3.5" x 2.25"
Attachments
logger_rev3.jpg