Hitman

Show off your prints!!!
charles.yates

Hitman

Post by charles.yates » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:25 pm

This was my attempt at printing Hitman.
hitman-little-large.jpg
More detail here.

Both printed using Maxx tooth white PLA - I purchased two spools of this - one each of the Economy and Pro variants.

The small one was printed on the Economy variant, sliced at 0.15mm with supports enabled using slic3r. Printed slow at about 40 mm/s.

The larger was printed with the Pro variant, also sliced at 0.15mm with supports using slic3r and at a similar speed.

Unfortunately, my first couple of attempts failed with the support toppling so I decided to add some manual rafts in repetierHost with the arrangement looking like:
hitman-arrangement.png
Specifically, I just added an arbitrary 20mm cube and rescaled and rotated until they were roughly under the generated supports. I've tried using a brim with similar models in the past, but had limited success.

Is this just me, or do others have similar issues? Seems to me that it would work fine if slic3r extended a raft to sit below supports too, but it might be indicative of another issue perhaps?

FWIW, there was a difference between the two filaments - notably warping and curling was reduced, but I'd need to experiment some more to see if it's worth the extra cost.

Jules

Re: Hitman

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Cool! I need to get me one of those! :D

As far as the support issue goes, I've had really good luck using a 2 layer detached Brim (technically a skirt, I suppose) but I just put it 0.3 mm away from the main print and make it about 15-50 outlines (depending on the size) so that the support prints on top of it.

Problem with that particular shape is....because of the guns, it's wider at the top than the bottom, so the skirt gets set way the heck out away from the base. For that you might need to set a real Brim instead of a skirt, and have it actually attach to the print. (Just do one layer if you do that, so you can remove it. It's still going to hold the support steady, except at the outer edges, and for that you can just extend a few more outlines.)

charles.yates

Post by charles.yates » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Cheers Jules :).

Slic3r has limited options for Brim - I can just specify a width, and it's applied to each part which connects with the bed. Removes easily enough, but I haven't found it reliably preventing toppling of thinner/taller supports.

Possibly Simplify3D has other options, but I'd prefer to use Open Source where possible (and, yeah, I know that repetierHost isn't, but at least it uses open source components like Slic3r, Cura and Skeinforge for the important part of the process). I'm not averse to buying software, but for me, Simplify3D is a bit of a pig in a poke as the expression goes - I'd prefer to at least get a chance to try it before shelling out for it :).

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Bummer! What happens if you extend the brim out far enough that it overlaps itself? Would that give you a solid platform that you could get the support to stick to? (Rafts make such a mess on the bottoms of your prints, i hate to even suggest them.)

But you got it to work with the manual rafts, (which I've also had to resort to once or twice with some really weird overhangs), so if you can get it to work that way, nothing wrong with continuing along those lines. :D

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 am

charles.yates wrote: I'd prefer to at least get a chance to try it before shelling out for it :).
I'm just going to make a habit of posting this response everywhere, because this is kind of silly it gets posted so much.

IT HAS A TWO WEEK MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!!!

Amount of people I have ever heard of wanting their money back.

I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

charles.yates

Post by charles.yates » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 am

willnewton wrote:
charles.yates wrote: I'd prefer to at least get a chance to try it before shelling out for it :).
I'm just going to make a habit of posting this response everywhere, because this is kind of silly it gets posted so much.

IT HAS A TWO WEEK MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!!!
Also aware.

Amount of software* I have bought in the past 20 years:

It just seems odd for me personally :).

* ETA: Well, desktop software anyway.

charles.yates

Post by charles.yates » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:57 am

Jules wrote:Bummer! What happens if you extend the brim out far enough that it overlaps itself? Would that give you a solid platform that you could get the support to stick to? (Rafts make such a mess on the bottoms of your prints, i hate to even suggest them.)

But you got it to work with the manual rafts, (which I've also had to resort to once or twice with some really weird overhangs), so if you can get it to work that way, nothing wrong with continuing along those lines. :D
Yeah - that bigger brim might work - worth a try.

My kid wanted a print of Charizard and so far it's proven impossible to print. Toppling supports even with a brim have been a problem, but the bigger blocker is that the tail keeps warping. Perhaps a combination of a larger brim and the Pro filament will crack it. Will try a half scale this evening.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 pm

charles.yates wrote:so far it's proven impossible to print
Thingiverse seems to attract models that are artsy and impossible / absurdly difficult to produce with consumer-grade printers.

I'd amputate the wings & tail & maybe the head, print the pieces aligned in the obvious orientations, then glue everything back together. Might be faster & less frustrating than invoking heroic support structures ...

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:38 pm

I printed a Charizard. I don't think it was exactly that one. I don't remember having issues with the tail or supports, but the wing on mine was so thin it would disappear at any reasonable scale when sliced. I beefed up the wing membranes with Meshmixer (model attached).

It sounds like you may be having some bed adhesion issues. Try:

1. Using some adhesion aids on your bed. Glue stick or hairspray work very well; if you're not using either, give it a shot.
2. Calibrate your extrusion.
3. Add a small amount of extruder lift on retraction (.1 - .2mm) to ensure you are not contacting any over extruded bits. Any contact at all on a support will eventually knock them over.
4. Slic3r comes with several different support styles. Try them all!
Attachments
char_sculpt.stl
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 475 times

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 pm

charles.yates wrote:
Jules wrote:Bummer! What happens if you extend the brim out far enough that it overlaps itself? Would that give you a solid platform that you could get the support to stick to? (Rafts make such a mess on the bottoms of your prints, i hate to even suggest them.)

Yeah - that bigger brim might work - worth a try.

My kid wanted a print of Charizard and so far it's proven impossible to print. Toppling supports even with a brim have been a problem, but the bigger blocker is that the tail keeps warping. Perhaps a combination of a larger brim and the Pro filament will crack it. Will try a half scale this evening.
Split the model right down the center and print each half laying flat - way less support and more area to apply the support to where it is needed. Then just glue them together.