tenative test for mesh leveling

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

tenative test for mesh leveling

Post by insta » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:34 pm

everybody has been right so far, the "auto probe" leveling is only coplanar.

I just got a successful print started with inductively-sensed 49-point mesh probing. The bed was disturbed by an SD card underneath ... I'll release my modified firmware once I've got it merged in like I want (doesn't work with Viki yet).

This uses my DIY zebra plates on the sheet steel + the inductive probe. It's about as fire-and-forget as you can get, without needing MIC6 sheets anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3oipk9_rM
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Bratag

Re: tenative test for mesh leveling

Post by Bratag » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 pm

49 point?

Nice print ... could use more cooling though. Would it be possible for you to mount a desk fan on the extruder :)

insta

Post by insta » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Here's the mesh data from the bed. You can see the hump in the middle caused by the SD card, the orange spot is where the bed was unlevel left-right.
2016-02-18.jpg

insta

Post by insta » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 pm

Bratag wrote:49 point?

Nice print ... could use more cooling though. Would it be possible for you to mount a desk fan on the extruder :)
... that's just the normal bed cooling fan? did I miss a joke? :(

kartcrg

Post by kartcrg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:56 am

Looks like we're running the same filament drive cover :lol:

insta

Post by insta » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Ok seriously you guys are missing the point.

This is a bigger upgrade than the four point spider with mic6. It's a perfectly even first layer that can be retrofitted onto any v4 machine for like $25 and removes all bow/warp/unlevel from the surface, as well as obsoleting borosilicate. It will even allow for springless spider mounting.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:03 pm

:lol: Oh, we get it.....we're just waiting for you to finish testing it and write it up, already! ;) :lol: :lol:
(I suspect they're messin' with ya!) :P

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 am

I'm just happy that this feature is finally getting into Marlin. It's been fantastic on the Smoothieboard, but it's a bit over the top to insist that everyone needs to replace their entire electronics board and firmware just to get grid-based correction. But when you think about all the posts on this forum that have been about the plate being bowed, or un-level, and then think about all those problems just. . . going. . . away. . . poof. You know you've gotta have it.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Jules wrote::lol: Oh, we get it.....we're just waiting for you to finish testing it and write it up, already! ;) :lol: :lol:
Here is my original tutorial that is not machine specific. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3349&start=10#p22670

Guys, this is good stuff, but it is not a simple matter of changing firmware and having magic happen. There is a going to be a lot of variation depending on probe type, probe mounting locations, and machine setup. By using someone else's firmware without understanding how it works, you can damage your machine. This is NOT universal firmware and it is in beta.

You need to have an understanding of how to wire, mount, and do the firmware setup for YOUR induction probe, not anyone else's. Different probes use different settings. Even if you use the same probe and same mounting, you will need different settings because your probe is highly unlikely to be screwed in at the exact height that another user has.

It is not too hard to get it straight, but this is not a plug and play modification.

That being said, it is a very sweet mod.
Last edited by willnewton on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:42 pm

willnewton wrote:
Jules wrote::lol: Oh, we get it.....we're just waiting for you to finish testing it and write it up, already! ;) :lol: :lol:
I already did. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3349&start=10#p22670
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're going to have to take it down a notch for us completely-confused, brain-dead, sleep-deprived idiots, Will.

(And I'm not kidding.....Haven't slept through the night in an entire week....it's mating season here and there's a mockingbird with an unbelievable repertoire, and the heftiest set of pipes I've ever heard, who's taken up residence right outside the bedroom window. And he's at it 24-freaking-hours a day!)

Got a Red Rider and bird scare tape in the cart at this moment. If the tape works, good for the bird. If not - hubs is a crack shot, and I'm not half bad.

This is how people become zombies. I am a zombie. (Dear Lord, please let the little birdie find a girlfriend....soon.)

By the way, did you know that if you type "How to Kill a Mockingbird" into Google, you get absolutely no useful information? Just a lot of offers to buy the book.