little help (how do I stop at a specific layer again?)

General discussion topics
helifrek

little help (how do I stop at a specific layer again?)

Post by helifrek » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Hey guys,
it has been two months since I have touched my printer (was overseas) and now I have a print job to do! I have to separate it into 3 parts and the middle piece needs to stop at layer 76. I know in S3D I can make it stop at a specific mm height, but how do I get that mm number from the layer number? why can't they just have an option to switch the mm to layer?

Jules

Re: little help (how do I stop at a specific layer again?)

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Hang on a second - I need to find it......

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Okay the original discussion is in Steve's writeup below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2132

:D

If you are doing a color change, and not a drop in, you need to use the color change script below, to avoid a retraction problem:

G91 ; set relative positioning
G0 Z40 ; raise Z (drop bed)
G90 ; set absolute positioning
M84 S0 ; disable idle timeout
M25 ; Pause SD Print
G92 E0 ; zero extruder

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Thank you!
It isn't for a color change, just need to stop the print but that will work. I can just stop it from there and start the next piece. I am just trying to avoid printing supports on this one spot, I would rather glue on the top piece later than to have the support.
Thanks again! Glad to be back home and printing!

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:09 am

The mm number is just the layer number * the layer width, +- any first layer height modification. The easiest way to figure out the precise number is to actually slice the file, then look in the gcode file with your favorite text editor. Search for "; layer xx", it will say "Z = xx.x" on that line. As long as you're in there, you can edit the gcode file as Jules suggests to make it automatic.

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:20 am

I figured out that using the cross section view gave me an accurate way to measure exactly what the height of where I wanted to stop the print would be. So i ended up using that method, I just totally forgot about it :)

In another note, i am super proud of my M2!!! I have been printing prototypes for a new device that will be used WORLDWIDE in the medical field!!! pretty neat stuff, I met the bio-medical engineer that designed it today! very cool stuff, he was extremely impressed with the quality of the parts I have been printing! the final parts will not be 3D printed of course but it is still cool to be part of the project!

Thanks again guys!