Raspberry Pi 3

General discussion topics
PcS

Re: Raspberry Pi 3

Post by PcS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:29 pm

After further exploration I learned that indeed the latest stable version of Octoprint does support the PI3 already. However if using the octopi image you must use a nightly at this point. And that is what I used, was an octopi image .The WiFi driver has been giving some people serious issues thus far. I have not had any ruined prints. But if the PI sits idle too long It locks up. A reboot fixes it as long as kept busy. The work around at this point is to disable WiFi power management. So far this seems to have done the trick.

Quote from foosel.
Regarding the wifi going down, that's definitely caused by power management. I disabled it via /boot/octopi-network by adding wireless-power off to my wlan0 config, right after the SSID/PSK combo

I will let the updater update mine to newest stable build tonight and report back. It has been bugging me to update.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:35 pm

I finally had a chance to unbox mine last night. I wrote the jessie img to the card, set the wifi and booted up but i ended there. I didnt get a chance to actuLly try anything. Let me know if your update works out

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm thinking that will be the easiest path to stable build. Install jessie nightly , disable WiFi power management and let it update to latest stable build.Will try tonight and let everyone know.

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:39 am

Updated to 1.2.10 latest stable with no issues. Seems to be printing fine thus far.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:25 am

uhhhhgg here we go again with the damn wifi. every time i get a new pi its a 3 day project to get the wifi working. of course it should be simple by uncommenting the lines in the network file and adding the correct info in there but Noooo. that network file does nothing.

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Biggest mistake I see is people forget to uncomment wlan 0.

##WPA/WPA2 secured
iface wlan0 inlet manual <" they forget to uncomment this line."

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:29 pm

no its all uncommented and setup in that file exactly like its supposed to be but there is something about octoprint's wifi setup that just doesn't work on my network atleast. I have to delete that txt file and go into the network interfaces and wpa supplicant file, delete everything in those and rewrite the info in there so it works. I got it working after doing all that. I had to go into my other pi and see what I had written in those files and copy it over.

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Maybe time to update the firmware in your router ?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Nope all up to date. Its something about how they have the settings written in those files. If that is rewritten in a different way it all works. Its wasnt such a big deal in the older versions of octopi before they used that network settings txt file. Once they made that change everything went screwey. Actually what i have done is gone back to the old way.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:11 pm

I agree that every time i setup a new raspberry pi its a chore to get the wifi working...I was hoping the v3 would be easier since the wifi is onboard..

Octoprint adds a whole other layer to it since you *should* just have to modify their network settings file in the boot dir, but that never seems to work right for me..

I tend to update the wpa_supplicant.conf directly to get things working...