Any new M2 version in the works? M3, etc.?

General discussion topics
hybridprinter

Any new M2 version in the works? M3, etc.?

Post by hybridprinter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:19 am

Any new machine versions on the horizon? M2 still selling strong or becoming outdated by other brands?

the M2 is great, just curious whats next...

insta

Re: Any new M2 version in the works? M3, etc.?

Post by insta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:03 am

This comes up frequently, I had thoughts on it from the last time: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3327&p=22407#p22407
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:30 am

We continue to improve the M2. Why is that so difficult to understand? What has not changed is the name of the machine. The M2 Rev. E is currently shipping. Existing M2 owners can or will be able to (when we have inventory) upgrade existing machines to the current release level or close to it.

And, we are still shipping M2s as quickly as we make them.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:55 am

Fantastic to hear!

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:58 am

If you got your machine in late 2014, (which I'm guessing at, since it's when you joined), and you haven't kept up with all the "improvements" to the existing M2 this last year, let me tell you - the M2s shipping now (M2 V4 Rev. E) are M3s.

V4 hotends, new 4-point spider, new semi-automated software leveling guide, no more setting the upper Z-stop, dual option, metal motor mount, much quieter power supply fan, metal power supply case, improved wire treatment on the HBP so the wires don't stress, kick-ass wire harness.....the machines shipping today are about 10 orders of magnitude slicker than the ones you and I bought a year ago.

You no longer need to go through all of the Z-Stop and leveling angst with the new M2 machines. (I'd say the M3s are here....a rose by any other name, etc.) :D

insta

Post by insta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:25 am

rpollack wrote:We continue to improve the M2. Why is that so difficult to understand? What has not changed is the name of the machine. The M2 Rev. E is currently shipping. Existing M2 owners can or will be able to (when we have inventory) upgrade existing machines to the current release level or close to it.

And, we are still shipping M2s as quickly as we make them.
Give me an upgrade log dagnabbit. Keep a locked sticky thread somewhere.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:01 pm

insta wrote:
rpollack wrote:We continue to improve the M2. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Give me an upgrade log dagnabbit. Keep a locked sticky thread somewhere.
This is why. There is no log of changes, no indications on your website of what revision this is. You are making changes and sometimes those of us regulars on the forum don't even know until some new owner posts a pic up and we see a new detail.

To the outside world you are making the same printer since the first M2. Despite all the changes and upgrades, people that do not own an M2 think you are selling a printer that is getting long in the tooth. I have seen several posts to that effect in other forums. I have even seen FB posts trolling an M2 owner for using such an "old printer".

I love my M2. I love that you don't do worthless nudge-grades just to +1 your version number. I love that you allow me to upgrade my years old machine to the same one that ships today via part upgrades. I love that my M2 is still way better than MANY of the newest machines on the market.

But non-owners will never know any of that until after purchasing. How are they going to know if you don't tell them?

A revisions/updates/changelog page on your website would go a long way towards helping everyone see how hard you have been working to keep the M2 an up-to-date and ass-kicking printer.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

dramsey

Post by dramsey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:08 pm

willnewton wrote: This is why. There is no log of changes, no indications on your website of what revision this is. You are making changes and sometimes those of us regulars on the forum don't even know until some new owner posts a pic up and we see a new detail.

But non-owners will never know any of that until after purchasing. How are they going to know if you don't tell them?

A revisions/updates/changelog page on your website would go a long way towards helping everyone see how hard you have been working to keep the M2 an up-to-date and ass-kicking printer.
What he said. My M2 is only about 5 weeks old. What's this about a new 4-point spider now? Semi-automated software leveling?

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:11 pm

dramsey wrote: What he said. My M2 is only about 5 weeks old. What's this about a new 4-point spider now? Semi-automated software leveling?
This is still in beta, a few members have the spider and the software. To my knowledge its not yet ready for the masses.

But it is an example of one of the upgrades on their way.

EDIT: I saw elsewhere on the forum that this upgrade is now shipping with new M2's.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:58 pm

dramsey wrote:What he said. My M2 is only about 5 weeks old. What's this about a new 4-point spider now? Semi-automated software leveling?

The Rev. E only happened in the last few weeks... yours is probably a Rev. D (November 2015 - March 2016) (see the current manuals for the specs differences between the D and E)

Looking at the specs in the manuals the differences are very limited.
The Filament drive went from Rev 1 to Rev 2 (not sure what changed there)
And of course the four point spider vs the 3 point. (and the position of the z end stop changed with the new spider)

The Rev. E software isn't totally automated as far as leveling goes it just basically runs through the leveling process and moves the bed around and with your input it tells you which corner is the highest and starts the level process from there. You still need to preform the actual leveling with screws. It is also used to set the z height (It's geared more toward the absolute beginner.)

Other than that not much has changed so your printer is still top of the line as far as things go so no worries there. :D