Any new M2 version in the works? M3, etc.?

General discussion topics
Jules

Re: Any new M2 version in the works? M3, etc.?

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:08 pm

RJD, if you are now able to print anything with your M2, you are one month ahead of where you would have been if you had waited for the new "easier-to-use" version. (And you will also know more about how the machine functions than the new machine users will.)

So if you are successfully printing now.....Congratulations, it's ultimately going to be easier for you to adapt down the road, and you do not need to buy the upgrade.
(Believe me, that is a benefit beyond price.) ;)

Before you decide that you got caught at a bad time in the switch-over cycle between machines....Wait, read through the revised Beginner's Guide when it comes out, and see if you even think you need it. With the exception of a different method for adjusting the bed level (which doesn't happen more than once every 6 months or so) there are no differences in printing with the machine. You're already ahead of the game by buying early. (And if you don't want to mess with Z-Offsets, just buy the upgrade when it comes available. You'll have spent the same amount as you would if you waited a month and got the higher priced new machine anyway. Usually assembly requires a screwdriver or two and the ability to follow instructions, so no biggie.)
Last edited by Jules on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:22 pm

RJD wrote:However, it would be nice to have an idea what is in the works and roughly when it will come out, so someone in my position could possibly plan accordingly.
This only works with, say, Apple and iPhones because they have a massive, globe-spanning rumor mill and thousands of employees to leak rumors. Most companies, large or small, don't want to choke off sales of their existing product by announcing the next generation in advance. Otherwise they have to deeply discount the discontinued series, and that doesn't make sense if the only difference between the old series and the new series is some part that can be purchased at cost as an upgrade. Apple makes that work with closed-source hardware and software. You can't just upgrade your iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. Not meaning to pick on Apple, particularly; they all do it.

The (small) price of having a machine that is yours to do whatever you want with is that you don't get new product announcements in advance. On the other hand, once you have one, sometimes you get to beta-test new hardware and software (without knowing whether or not it's eventually going to end up as a standard feature in future products).

Probably you can tell I've been reading Cory Doctorow recently. . .

RJD

Post by RJD » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Tim wrote:
RJD wrote:However, it would be nice to have an idea what is in the works and roughly when it will come out, so someone in my position could possibly plan accordingly.
This only works with, say, Apple and iPhones because they have a massive, globe-spanning rumor mill and thousands of employees to leak rumors. Most companies, large or small, don't want to choke off sales of their existing product by announcing the next generation in advance. Otherwise they have to deeply discount the discontinued series, and that doesn't make sense if the only difference between the old series and the new series is some part that can be purchased at cost as an upgrade. Apple makes that work with closed-source hardware and software. You can't just upgrade your iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. Not meaning to pick on Apple, particularly; they all do it.

The (small) price of having a machine that is yours to do whatever you want with is that you don't get new product announcements in advance. On the other hand, once you have one, sometimes you get to beta-test new hardware and software (without knowing whether or not it's eventually going to end up as a standard feature in future products).

Probably you can tell I've been reading Cory Doctorow recently. . .
I assume a small company like MakerGear isn't maintaining much of an inventory of preassembled printers, especially when they are moving to an upgraded version. These machines, by design, lend themselves to change. Even if they had a few unsold Rev.Ds, they would just incorporate the new upgrades instead of discounting them. Thanks for all the feedback.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

RJD - I think if you ask around you'll find that we are pretty reasonable to deal with. How exactly do you suggest that we handle this other than raising the price for new releases?

Rick

RJD

Post by RJD » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

rpollack wrote:RJD - I think if you ask around you'll find that we are pretty reasonable to deal with. How exactly do you suggest that we handle this other than raising the price for new releases?

Rick
My initial understanding was mistaken concerning the significance of Rev. E's upgrades over Rev D. I spent a considerable amount of time researching printers before deciding on the M2. I purchased probably within a few weeks of when the new version came out, so it is understandable that a customer may feel buyers remorse in those circumstances (i.e., thought they missed out on a new/improved version). Thanks again for the information.
Last edited by RJD on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Well, if you have specific suggestions we'll listen...

bignordique

Post by bignordique » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Makergear faces a classic dilemma in a fast moving high tech business.

If you pre-announce some whizzy new product, sales of the current generation goes to zero. Makergear goes out of business before they can ship said whizzy new product.

This is a pattern most people should be familiar with. If you buy a new computer today, it will not be as good as the one you could have waited to buy in 6 months.

You just have to make the decision to buy the thing for whatever problem you are trying to solve today and find value in having that solution now and not six months later.

Having said that, it would be nice if Makergear made it a little more obvious the rev level of the machine sitting on my desk here. I can find the serial number, but the rev level is not easily found?? A rev level date chart helps, but I don't remember the exact date I go this thing, and furthermore it might have landed on the cusp of rev level change.

A description of the major changes with each rev level would also be useful. Apparently that's out there somewhere. I just don't know where.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I do not know of any business, or business model that practices informing customers to wait for a new model. I applaud makergear for a rock solid product from day one and continually improving on a great design. It would not matter where you bought a printer ,or from who else, had you not chosen an m2 you would find yourself in exactly the same dilemma.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:42 am

... I would pay a subscription in order to get revision releases trickled to me as they came out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:57 pm

I on the other hand would not ! Lol I like to help test things and then decide what fits my needs and use it . Makergears upgrades I feel are for the most part reasonably priced.