Jumper Wire Question

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
mferrand

Jumper Wire Question

Post by mferrand » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 pm

I am newbie. I am going to start wiring my new M2 tonight. On page 3 of
the wiring instructions, I do not understand what the jumper is for or whether
I should do it. What is the difference? Where does the other end of the
wire go? Is there some documentation/pictures somewhere?

Tim

Re: Jumper Wire Question

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:00 am

(trying sort of unsuccessfully to ignore the intervening spam)

Since you refer to page 3, I assume you are talking about the PDF file "M2 wiring"? Where page 3 (of 33) has a photo of the RAMBo board?

Note first that the photo has the yellow circuit breaker (the one which is the subject of today's 2012 model "recall"), and so beware of any differences there may be between your newer version board and the one in the photo (although there should not be too many differences). The main jumper of interest is the one labeled "Power select", and has 3 pins. If you jumper the middle pin to the one farthest from the USB connector, the board (logic) powers off of the power supply. If you connect the middle pin to the one closest to the USB connector, then the USB connector (which has 5V on it) powers the board. Note that I said "board logic"---all of the motors and heaters are run off of the 24V supply regardless. The 5V will power the Atmel processor. A lot of people like to put their print data on the SD card, hook up to the computer and S3D software only to hit the "print from SD card", then disconnect the USB. If you do that and your jumper is set to USB power, then you will shut down your printer as soon as you yank the USB cable. I can think of no particularly good reason to power the processor off of the USB. So keep the jumper on the "PSU" side.

mferrand

Post by mferrand » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Tim,
Thanks for the reply. That was a great explanation. I was kind of wondering why I would want to
power off the USB. At least we have options. I managed to get all the wiring done last night
with the exception of this step. I appreciate your help. Any idea how to make the jumper?
I am reluctant to put a soldering iron to the RAMBo.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 pm

Hmm, I don't remember not having a jumper, but then I have so many spare jumpers lying around that I might have just grabbed one of my own spares. You sure there's not one in a bag somewhere in the kit? Or an old PC card lying around somewhere with a few random jumpers on it you can steal? But, if you really don't have a jumper, and you don't have a wire-wrap tool and wire-wrap wire, then sure, just go solder a piece of wire across the contacts.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 pm

You can get a small bag of the jumpers at your local Radio Shack (catalog # 276-1512, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103807), $1.49 USD for a strip of 10. The jumper is a little rectangular (usually black) block with two holes through it and a little copper springy contact in it that makes contact between the two pins onto which you push it. They are also called DIP shunts, shorting blocks, and other names. Usually there are two or three behind my workbench at any given time.

Should be there, and should default to the external (PSU) power position.

I'd rather spend the $1.49 than take a soldering iron to my Rambo -- and I have a temperature controlled station, etc., and do some SMT soldering fairly regularly.
Dale

mferrand

Post by mferrand » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks Tim. Iwill check for some old parts.

mferrand

Post by mferrand » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Dale I appreciate the help. I am on my way to radio shack........

mferrand

Post by mferrand » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Guys, for keeping me from wrecking my new M2 !

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 pm

I don't remember installing any jumper. That page 3 diagram is taken straight from the RAMBo docs and is informational. It should have come with any necessary jumpers already installed.

jbarnhardt

Post by jbarnhardt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 pm

jsc wrote:I don't remember installing any jumper. That page 3 diagram is taken straight from the RAMBo docs and is informational. It should have come with any necessary jumpers already installed.
Same here. I think you may have this jumper installed already by default...

-John