Table for M2

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
CCRN

Table for M2

Post by CCRN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:36 am

I will receive my M2 on Monday and want to make sure I have a sufficient table for the printer. Please take a look at the attached picture and let me know if I should find something else.

Thanks,
Jerold
Attachments
IMG_0008.jpg

Jules

Re: Table for M2

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:45 am

No, you're going to need something a lot sturdier than that.

The machine vibrates when the print head moves back and forth - a lot. That table does not look particularly sturdy, it might even fall over on those spindly little legs.

Best thing is a built in desk. Next best is a heavy shop work table. (4 inch legs.) Or that dresser behind the desk would work if it were deeper. But you need that level of construction to hold it up.

In addition to being more stable, a heavier desk or table will be a lot quieter.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:49 am

How deep does it need to be? What would be some minimum dimensions you would recommend?

Thanks,
Jerold

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:04 am

The full range of motion on the plate is about 20 inches, but you need a few additional inches or so behind that for the harness, so 24 " or so should do it. (That's the depth where i have it parked.)

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 am

I think Jules might be overdramatizing things a little. Yes, it does vibrate when printing, and you will get a lot of noise. I don't think you're in danger of knocking that table over from it, though. As far as print quality, because the only thing that matters is the relative positions of the print head within the solid steel frame, vibrations shouldn't make much of a difference.

In short, I agree with Jules that a heavier desk would be preferable, but disagree that yours would be entirely unsuitable. Except that it appears to be in a bedroom, you might want to reconsider that part.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:45 am

Moi? I never over-dramatize. :lol: ;)
chipmunk.gif
chipmunk.gif (548.32 KiB) Viewed 10005 times
My machine has "walked" several inches while printing thin-wall infill (before I put the dampers on it), and that was on a rock-solid built-in cabinet. I really do think the possibility exists that it could walk itself off of that, or cause it to tip if it gets too close to the edge. A table with more weight to it, or at least some cross-bracing underneath, would be a lot safer.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:14 am

i have an alternate table that is quite a bit more sturdy I'll use until i can find a permenant solution. And no, i was not planning on sleeping with the M2! It will live in the craft room aka wife's sewing room or my office one I find a suitable table for it.